PSAT

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:15 pm

I just finished it today, wasnt too bad. at least it doesn't count yet. I was wondering if anyone else has done it and wanted to share their experiences.
http://xs7.xs.to/pics/04512/sig2.jpg
-whoamg, I can't put ANY anime girl in my sig without doom deleting it. =\

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:16 pm

I've only taken SAT I, but then again I'm only in 8th grade. It wasn't too bad, I just didn't understand the trig questions back when I took it (I do now).
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:27 pm

What's PSAT? :huh:
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:40 pm

I think it's like PHAT. :D

It's a test that you have to take in schools, I Don't!
I don't check this forum anymore.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:46 pm

I think its Pre-Scholastic Appditude Test
or Pre-SAT
SAT speaks for itself.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:01 pm

Actually SAT doesn't stand for anything anymore, for whatever reason they decided to take away the meaning. But anyone who's seen The Perfect Score knows what it's REALLY called...
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:54 pm

AKA NMSQT (Nat'l Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test).

I just took it today as well. It was simple at worst.

Oh BTW, the "P" actually stands for "Preliminary."
Whatever music you listen to probably sucks.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:56 pm

I've taken that test twice. It really doesn't count for anything. I actually took it (again) today. This time was the easiest by far, my English teacher went over the parts where you correct grammar errors in detail for about a week before the test. However, that is in no way my strong point. Last year when I took the PSAT, Reading and Writing was average, but math was in the 98% percentile. I wouldn't be surpised at all if I get near perfect on that section this year.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:33 am

Some of those sentence replacement dealies were confusing, but I still think I scored pretty well.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:04 am

Originally posted by Neo@Oct 13 2004, 05:01 PM
Actually SAT doesn't stand for anything anymore, for whatever reason they decided to take away the meaning. But anyone who's seen The Perfect Score knows what it's REALLY called...
I was going to say that, but who knows if that movie is truthfull at all. Sounds reasonable... who cares what SAT stands for.
BlueSoak.net

ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:43 am

actually it determines your eligibility for the nation merit scholarship program. only 15,000 out of all the people who take it become finalists and get a scholarship. my dad says that next year if I become even a commended student by them (which is prestigious on your college application), I get 250$ just enough to get me an airsoft rifle!
http://xs7.xs.to/pics/04512/sig2.jpg
-whoamg, I can't put ANY anime girl in my sig without doom deleting it. =\

Timmitop

Post by Timmitop » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:20 am

I am going to take the Pre-suck butt test at the end of the year I think.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:39 pm

Originally posted by Soakologist@Oct 13 2004, 07:33 PM
Some of those sentence replacement dealies were confusing, but I still think I scored pretty well.
Actually, I thought the same first time I took it. I scored average. You really can only recognize the errors when you are trained to. Luckily my English teacher took the liberty of doing so. Even then, several was confusing. I think that if you can't do it quickly, you likely have it wrong.

Also, I'd like to say that I didn't read most of the passages. Not at all, I only read when I was required to and they referenced a line. Another trick my English teacher taught me. I finished every section with about 5 to 10 minutes extra (especially math). For most of the questions you don't even have to read the passage actually, it's amazing what you can break down out of the available answers.

We'll see when I get the results in December (or whenever they give them out).

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:22 pm

Originally posted by Doom@Oct 14 2004, 08:39 AM
Also, I'd like to say that I didn't read most of the passages. Not at all, I only read when I was required to and they referenced a line.
Yep. I did the same thing. Our teachers didn't talk to us much about tips for the test.
I finished every section with about 5 to 10 minutes extra (especially math).
Same. They really give you too much time.
For most of the questions you don't even have to read the passage actually, it's amazing what you can break down out of the available answers.
Agreed. Some of the answers you can immediately discard because they omit some important information.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:12 am

actually it determines your eligibility for the nation merit scholarship program. only 15,000 out of all the people who take it become finalists and get a scholarship. my dad says that next year if I become even a commended student by them (which is prestigious on your college application), I get 250$ just enough to get me an airsoft rifle!
I'm taking the PSAT on Saturday. It doesn't completely determine eligibility for the national merit scholarship program, you have to be a junior when you take the PSAT to qualify, and I'm a not.
I finished every section with about 5 to 10 minutes extra (especially math).

Same. They really give you too much time.
Well then you're lucky. I never have enough time on the math sections of any standardized tests, I take too long to do each equations. I can't do math problems quickly, but reading/grammar IMO are the easiest sections of standardized tests. Some of you guys are also lucky that your teachers actually aknowledged the test and helped you prepare for it. None of my teachers have helped with any prep or even mentioned the test. Without the packet the school sent with the guide and practice test I would be going into the test room blind.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!