how do you practice accuracy?

General water gun discussion.
lazerhawk08

how do you practice accuracy?

Post by lazerhawk08 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:55 pm

I need good ways to practice my accuracy. besides tying a target to my dog and shooting her, shooting cans, shooting squirrels birds etc, or having a water war?
I have trichotillomania (trik-O-til-a-mAn-Eu)
Which meens i rip out my hair uncontrollably...its emotionally depressing...
If anyone could help...PM me...

SSCBen

Re: how do you practice accuracy?

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:13 pm

The only thing other than practice would be sweeping shots. If you sweep the area you think your target will be in your chances of hitting the target are much higher. Water guns allow for sweeping shots because the shot has duration.

Accuracy usually isn't that big of a deal because the shot has duration anyway. If you miss the target, change your aim. You can see the trajectory in the stream. ;)

If you have poor vision glasses would help too.

lazerhawk08

Post by lazerhawk08 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:18 pm

Thats what i normally do but it wastes water. Then again...i dont need to worry about wasting water because i use a 50oz water pack...
I have trichotillomania (trik-O-til-a-mAn-Eu)
Which meens i rip out my hair uncontrollably...its emotionally depressing...
If anyone could help...PM me...

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:51 am

If you seriously need to, you could get some rings and tape them to the gun, creating simple sights, but that shouldn't be necessary.

By looking at the angle of the nozzle, as well as how the horizontal portion of the blaster lines up, it shouldn't be that hard to get a rough shot where it should be. Basically, you're just holding the blaster normally and estimating where the stream will go, and if its a little off when you shoot, then you'll know. Some guns, such as the Max-D 2000 or 3000, have nozzles slightly pointed upward so you'll have to adjust a little for that.

Now, in most cases you shouldn't even need to worry about aim at all unless you're tap-shooting w/ a CPS 2000 (and if you're not tap shooting when using that blaster, you're either pumping or out of pressure), but either way, its not practical to try to land 45° shots that perfectly hit a target that'll probably dodge them.

Personally, the only "practice" I get after sufficient familiarization with a blaster is just a few random shots before a war begins so I can get the feel and know how the stream behaves. It's more of a sense than a skill.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:29 am

Half of aim in water warfare involves the enemy. You've got to get a feel for the enemy dodging style in order to land most hosts. Some enemies can be hit with a well-placed tap shot, others are so fast that you've got to sweep or slash at them. You can be a good shot even with bad aim in this game lol. The type of shots matter just as much as where you place them...

Sweep Shot: Kinda self-explanatory. A continuous shot that you move to hit the enemy if your initial aim was off. You can soak multiple enemies in the same area in the same sweep. Sweeps can cover a wide radius and are difficult to dodge.

Slash Shot: A sweep that pulls the momentum of the stream to one side [like a pistol-whipping motion]. Say you know there's an enemy sneaking up on your right, you can slash right and try to catch them fast. Best one with one hand. Can be deadly, can be worthless, depends on the situation.

Pulse Shot: A short shot for conserving water. You can fire off a couple with each pressurization. A pulse delivers more water than a tap shot and is often used when you know you can hit an enemy and want to get extra water into the hit.

Tap Shot: A brief tap of the trigger for skirmishing and long battles. You can fire off many with each pressurization. Even a shot time as fast as the CPS 2000 can be broken down into about 6 taps. Tap shooting is often done in one hit kills where it takes less water to fight. Taps can miss quite easily, but they can be fired off rapidly.

Full Shot: Rarely is it ever smart to unload an entire PC during combat...usually only in a soakfest at close range with a large nozzle. Aim obviously would matter little, but your pressure is all gone quickly. Ambushes perhaps. Not recommended for normal battles.

Jump Shot: Can be any of the above ^. A jump shot is done in the air, usually one-handed, often during a dodge or over a barrier. They can be inaccurate, but if planned well, you can nail someone totally off-guard.

Lunge Shot: Can be any of the above ^. This is done by suddenly lurching forward, leaning and extending your firing arm as far out as it will go. Your resulting shot will gain a couple feet. That can be decisive in a standoff, especially if the enemy is not paying particularly close attention.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:31 pm

I agree that accuracy tends to not be a problem in water guns, but you need at least some training; you can't win if you can't hit anyone! Setting up simple targets like at a range should work. You could also try to hit moving targets like a friend running by or a thrown object, kinda like clay pigeon shooting.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:24 am

Maybe you could try getting someone to drive a remote control car around and see if you can hit it. Obviously use a car that you don't mind getting wet and perhaps broken.

In fact that could actually be a fun game in itself.

But the best thing is just going to be to have fights. If you play one-hit-kills (or scores) and use only low-output weapons (ie not CPSes) you can reasonably have water wars even in fairly cold weather.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:21 pm

A small battle might work as well. Well, I guess at that point it's not a battle, but a fairly organized target practice using people basically is a battle. Just a thought.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

0n3 h1t s0aked

Post by 0n3 h1t s0aked » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:26 pm

Well In My opinion have lots, lots of water fights,wars ect. mostly have a refill station and start shooting stuff you will get more skill that way