Spelling of "colossus"

Threads about water gun modifications.
m15399

Post by m15399 » Sun May 21, 2006 5:39 pm

Collosus is spelled Collosus on SSC... The spell check says its Colossus, though. Which is preferred for soaking?
Last edited by SSCBen on Sun May 21, 2006 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for continuity.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 21, 2006 6:00 pm

I always thought that people mispelled Colossus, and I have caught myself before--you might even be able to find ones that slipped by. However, I never considered that it's supposed to have a unique spelling, so I'm counting on more experienced people to clear this up.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun May 21, 2006 8:34 pm

The spelling of the modification, Collosus, is incorrect. Originally I believe it was a mistake, but it caught on. It as much of a mistake as check valve freezing is, and for consistency we've kept it.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 21, 2006 8:45 pm

When I refer to CVF, I use both "Check Valve Freezing" and "CVF." However, when I actually describe what one does, I use "pressure relief valve."

Does it matter whether I use "Collosus" or "Colossus?" If you don't mind, I'll just use the correct spelling...

EDIT: I'm surprised you knew that off the top of your head. Thanks for clearing everything up, though...

DX

Post by DX » Sun May 21, 2006 9:03 pm

Check valves are best called one-way valves or pressure release valves, although even the isle boxes at Lowes label them "Check valves."

Colossus should be used since it is the correct spelling and the precedent of "collosus" is not that strong.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun May 21, 2006 10:13 pm

Thread split due to the change in direction of the discussion.

From what I remember, Colossus was the actual name of a water gun that Maurader4 modified. The term caught on for the modification is employed I suppose. All I remember was that they referred to the modification as "Collosus" when I first came around here.

I actually did some research and found the first post at Aquatica in which the term "colossus" was used. The term was correctly spelled the first time it was mentioned, but later it started changing up, removing an s and adding an l eventually.

Seems it would be best to spell Colossus correctly right now. Check valve freezing however is here to stay given that it's more popular and easily recognizable.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 21, 2006 10:27 pm

However, note that there is little need to actively change the way the community spells colossus (although they might need the correct version in school). As Duxburian said, there is little precedent in the spelling of colossus, and I never even knew it was a tradition! I was just pointing out what I thought had been a spelling error.

I suppose this topic can be locked now, though it really doesn't matter.