The Artic Shock 2000 or AS2k

Threads about water gun modifications.
Baghead

The Artic Shock 2000 or AS2k UPDATE + PJ

Post by Baghead » Tue May 16, 2006 4:15 am

I didn't know if this truly counts as a mod, but I found a prety darn cool way to turn an old, useless Nerf Air Tech 2000 turret into a 4-way nozzle selector for single shot guns. And Being an avid Nerf modder who runs one of the largest Nerf Clans in SoCal, I have over 35 AT2K turrets. This First Attempt is on an artic shock I got @ target for $9, a price worthy of taking a risk. That's where I came up with the name: Artic Shock 2000. Anywho, here's some pics of what I did, I'll do a more In-depth write up of the 2k nozzle Sellector when I perfect it. also, since I didn't like the tiny pump handle, I replaced it with the grip from a nerf Hornet.

The Finished Product:

Here's a little on how I did It.

The Opened Soaker: If anyone wants to point out where I do a CVF on it that would be great.

Pics of a AT2k turret and it exploded:

Here's what the front of the Custom Nozzles Looks like: I have a fine spray, a larger spray, a "Flood" spray and a fan spray.

Some Pics of how It attaches to the AS:

I tested it out and well, currently I have a few problems (range is nearly Halfed), but I think I have figured out how to fix that already, I left a bit too much dead space inside the turret. My next one Will be more concentrated in straight flow. Not bad for my fist effort though eh?

-Bags
Last edited by Baghead on Thu May 18, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue May 16, 2006 9:45 am

Good attempt.

If you read the CVF section, that covers almost every configuration. Just find one that fits it.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Baghead

Post by Baghead » Tue May 16, 2006 4:38 pm

Thanks, I'm almost positive that a higher powered soaker would be able to use this turret system far more effectivly and I figured if I CVF it I would be able to make it more reasonable on the Artic Shock. but none of the ones in the Info look all that much like this one. Also, I don't have any epoxy, And untill I do, I'm going to avoid doing it.

-Bags

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue May 16, 2006 10:11 pm

Neat modification. The pictures could be a little sharper, but beggars can't be choosers.

I'm thinking about doing something similar to my AirTech 2000 turret. My AirTech 2000 broke when they still were in stores and I haven't used it's parts for anything yet. A modification would be a good use of the parts.

m15399

Post by m15399 » Tue May 16, 2006 11:25 pm

I believe the check valve is placed horizontally (weird) just to the left of the top reservoir.

Nice mod.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue May 16, 2006 11:45 pm

Excellent job--finally, a professional-type nozzle selector that people can actually use in mods and in homemades! It clearly takes somebody with deep knowledge of Nerf parts to come up with things like this.

Have you actually tested out this setup? I've been thinking about things like this, as I believe I've said, but the problem lies in making sure the water doesn't leak out the side of the nozzle, even if you do have great lamination, etc. I haven't taken apart a commercial soaker to look at the nozzle selector, yet, so I don't really know how Super Soaker pulls it off.

Baghead

Post by Baghead » Wed May 17, 2006 1:13 am

See this Red region on a 2k barrel, I didn't put anything to narrow the water twards the hole it exits, so the water probably rushes into the region and swirls backward and slows the flow down. I plan to fix this on the next turret.

-bags

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 17, 2006 1:26 am

Yes, that's basically what I was referring to. If you look at Super Soakers that use nozzle selectors--they seem to be quite similar to this, so you've got a good imitation--there's just open space between the actual barrel and the opening. Even if this doesn't slow down the stream, it can cause turbulence, which is very bad in soakers, but maybe not so much in Nerf guns. I'm thinking of, basically, an endcap with a good opening (not a threaded endcap, though, and no glue) that just squeezes onto the barrel, without any twisting. An O-ring across the cross-section of the barrel creates a seal right at the inside face of the endcap, and produces a stream similar to standard homemade nozzles, but without screwing.

However, this won't neccessarily stay tight; it would just blow off with the 100+ PSI of a powerful homemade soaker. If four or so endcaps can be connected together around a female axle, then it can have a bolt threaded through the axle and secured. However, this also leaves a problem: you can't switch the nozzles due to the sides of the endcap holding the nozzle in place on the barrel! Solution: cut off the side parts of the endcap. Now, when you think about it, you've essentially got the Super Soaker/AT2K nozzle assembly, but with the nozzles flush against the barrel. In fact, a disk of PVC or another material is sufficient, and that would actually allow for hole/O-ring sets as can fit on the disk.

Baghead

Post by Baghead » Thu May 18, 2006 10:52 pm

I've put it back together with a fresh new Paint Job too.

Okey, Doke guys, I've dons some re-working and it's still not quite giving me the results I want, but I'll work on that more soon. It is improved and this is why:

using a cut-up nerf Dart Tag Dart, I improved the in-line flow of H2O on the nozzle:

Here's an idea of where the water's going in each nozzle setting:

Now here's some pics of the streams:

Small Nozzle: Made from the Artic Shock's stock nozzle

Bigger Nozzle: Just the standard Nerf hole on one of these turrets

Fan Spray Nozzle: Made with a small peice of plastic with a fine hole drilled through it, then I Cut across it with a dremmel and pinched it together with pliers

"flood" Nozzle: Just removed everything from the barrel

There you go, As you can see on the two smaller streams the power of the water forces some out the top of the sellector turret, I need to improve that seal still, but other than that it's prety darn awesome.

-bags

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu May 18, 2006 10:58 pm

I like the paintjob...while it might not be as shiny as your Nerf gun paintjobs, this is probably more appropriate and professional for soakers (especially commercial soakers).

However, I have a few questions about the stream shots. Are you shooting from an elevated position, such as a porch? I'm asking this because the perspective looks weird, as the background looks like it's a good distance away, but the shots don't look like they go as far. Strange.

You might want to try controlling the fan spray and the riot blast at least a little bit. The spread on both is so huge that it might be hard to hit any specific target, though it might just look different in the picture. It's good, however, to see effective use of professional-style nozzle selectors.

Baghead

Post by Baghead » Thu May 18, 2006 11:08 pm

My front yard is on a severe slant, I'm at the high point, the stream doesn't go very far (perhaps 20 feet on the fine nozzle).

It ain't nutin' great yet, but it does the job of giving me a choice of how I shoot when it comes to soaking my homies, I don't think I'm ever going to try to do alot of hardcore organized soaker warfare (I'll leave it to my weapons of foam disrtuction when it comes to organized play). also currently this soaker is going to be my sidearm, to back up my MAX D 6000 that I got off ebay a couple of weeks ago.

On the topic of the PJ: I didn't go for the metalic look for two reasons on this gun:
1: Thickness, the Xmetals and clearcoat are far to thick to paint things like water tanks.
2: I'm out of metalic basecoat. :p

-bags
Last edited by Baghead on Thu May 18, 2006 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu May 18, 2006 11:15 pm

So, this is a convenient nozzle mod, yet it achieves somewhat poor range? I might try the nozzle apparatus that I proposed in an earlier post, as that would be similar to what you'd see in a standard female-threaded endcap homemade nozzle--however, it can be changed easily. I could try this, at least, by screwing it on to my tentative PCgH as if it were a nozzle, and I hope the results are good.

Maybe you're not getting earth-shaking performance because of the actual arpertures. I know that in endcap nozzles, the hole is deep and very smooth, which might be slightly harder to obtain with this. In my version, that may be possible, but you'll really have to work hard to get an opening like that in your mod. Good work, though...

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sat May 20, 2006 8:47 pm

It's a nice mod, but it could be improved.

A nerf dart is possibly not the best tubing. If you found something better, it would leak less...

Perhaps more tinkering will make it a worthy modification.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Baghead

Post by Baghead » Sun May 21, 2006 6:24 pm

The leak isn't at the Dart, it just fills up the excess space inside a 2k turret, it's at the connector between the two parts of the turret, and that's why you can see it flying out of the top and sides on the two smaller nozzles. I'm still almost positive this would be about 70% more effective on something higher powered. I just got a pair of max-d 6000 and I intend to study one of the nozzle selectors from one and see if that will aid me in producing a superior 2k Turret Nozzle selector.

-bags

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 21, 2006 6:28 pm

Yes, you should definitely study the commercial nozzle selectors. This will be my first summer with a membership at an online soaker site, and I'm excited about testing out so many new things. I'll take apart my CPS 4100 and build my first homemade(s) then, so I'll see exactly how the nozzle selector works. Judging by the external looks, it's just an AT2K turret with an O-ring seal around the edge to keep the water inside. However, the method I proposed earlier (with the disk) seems like it will create less turbulence.