The Original CPS?

Threads about water gun modifications.
wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:26 pm

Hey, guys, you might find this interesting. I found this strange item while perusing backwater eBay pages. An old rubber ball squirt gun is what it is described as, and it details the fact that it can hold up to three shots. It is specific that the water is stored in the ball at the end which is made of rubber, so I'm assuming it can expand. This sounds just like a crude CPS system, and could be the origin of the CPS system. An interesting find if nothing else.

EDIT: Here is the link: Vintage Water Gun
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

Godzillasoaker65

Post by Godzillasoaker65 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:55 pm

I wonder if it is made by hasbro. It doesn't look like CPS, because what if it expands too much? I think you just squeeze it. ;)
Soak, or be soaked that is the question!

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:04 pm

Hasbro didn't get into making water guns until they bought Larami. The likely hood of them making it is very slim. It was probably made a couple decades ago. From looking at it, the gun does seem to use the rubber ball for taking in the water and then squeezing it out. But I think it is done through manually using it with your hand. I think it is a very early idea of CPS.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:03 pm

I actually think the first know use of CPS tech in "guns" was some guys up at MIT (in America (that was for all non- Americans)). They got some rubber latex tubing and tied a knot in one end and then filled it from a tap and let go basically. Exactly like a water worm (I think) but that idea was never manufactured. By the way, this was in around the 1970s I think.

This was on i_soaker a while ago.
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:57 pm

I'm not sure that this is actually CPS, since I think it relies on the power exerted by the hand when squeezing, and not on any pressure exerted by the ball. Hence I'd say it's closest to a piston gun in that respect. I accept that I may be wrong though.

My 1000th post. Long way... :blink: ...in honour of the occasion I've finally chosen an avatar. B)
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.