Tap/Pump

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
DX

Tap/Pump

Post by DX » Sat May 13, 2006 1:54 am

Ok, if you don't play 1HK, this probably does not apply to you. If you do, important information coming your way:

Tap/Pump

The most blatantly obvious 1HK strategy there is. This involves two concepts, one called tap shots and one the elimination of capacity stats.

Tap Shots:
Very obvious. By tapping the trigger very briefly, you produce a short burst of water. In 1HK, that is all you need. Why waste more? "Tap shot" generically applies to any kind of short shot, not necessarily the shortest possible. Well I am referring to the shortest tap possible. A skilled CPS 2000 user can pull off 6-7 tap shots per full shot. Likewise, a CPS 2500 user could get 10-15 from a single full shot. But in this tap/pump strategy, forget about full shots and forget about shots per tank. If you commit to this strategy, those stats no longer apply to you. Read on...

Elimination of Capacity stats:
The essence of this strategy is to take a tap shot, pump back to full pressure, take another shot, pump back, etc. Pumping back up only takes 1-5 pumps depending on the gun. This stretches out your time on the field before refilling, often to over an hour. My usual is 1 and a half hours without refilling, and my record is 3 hours! This negates "shots per tank" because you are not taking full shots. It also eliminates "shot time", because you are tap shooting. In addition, when you think about it, you should never run out of pressure. Pumping back up after every tap shot or two means you are nearly always at 3/4 to full pressure thoughout the entire battle. From this day onward, you must never run out of pressure again. Never! Image Using this strategy, running out of pressure or even getting down to half becomes a rather n00bish and embaressing thing to do.

Note Well: This strategy does not work with extreme differences in shot time. Such as 5 minutes vs 5 seconds. For those who don't face 10 minute shooting CPH homemades, don't worry. Image I have yet to encounter a gun with long shot time myself. To me, long shot time is like 10 seconds. Image

Also realize that when you use tap/pump, you are making capacity in general a non-issue. That frees up your mind to worry about more important things. Unless you're not a commander, in which case you think about nothing except what you're told. Image

Wow-my shortest article to date.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 14, 2006 3:25 am

Nice article. I always really considered this to be common-place knowledge--it's like reloading whenever nobody else is around in computer games--as it's so effective, and especially because it is something that all experienced water warriors do. You don't see the results directly, as you would with superior range or output, but that also means you have an advantage that your enemies don't know about.

Keeping up your PC pressure is very important, especially in commercial non-CPS models, and it is somewhat important in commercial PCg models. I get annoyed when my range and output gets cut short, so it's an automatic reaction to pump my XP 270 until it squeaks (no, I haven't done a CVF on it yet).

Did you copy the smilies from over at SM and paste them here? It's an interesting idea, though I'm content with this smaller selection. No offense, but the SM ones look a bit weird.

DX

Post by DX » Sun May 14, 2006 3:34 am

They are actually iSoaker smilies, since I wrote the original article there. vBulletin doesn't use code for smilies, so you can copy-paste to use other forum's smilies. Although if you see another forum smiley, it is usually because I did copy-paste an article and everything with it.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 14, 2006 3:51 am

Thanks for the information. I would probably be more interested in the iSoaker.com Forums smilies if I had time to post there more, as my current agenda is (1) SSC, (2) SM, and (3) iScF.

I suppose one could create a new iScF thread that just had a list of the torrent of smilies, close the thread, and bookmark it. If he or she really wanted to use one of those, then he or she could simply go to the page in a new tab (notice all the Firefox procedures here) and copy the smilie. I'm the type of person who would do that if the smilies interested me.