Clear PVC pipe

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
SSCBen

Clear PVC pipe

Post by SSCBen » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:18 pm

Is anyone here interested in ordering some clear PVC pipe? I am planning a new LPD water gun with a clear pressure chamber so you can see your water level. However, I can't seem to find any online retailer willing to sell short lengths of it. I've even gone as far as asking them, but so far McMaster-Carr's the online one to respond. I'll only need 10 inches of 3 inch PVC pipe so the 4 or 10 feet minimums are ridiculous.

I'd be willing to sell the stuff at essentially no profit given I can recoup my costs. Post here if you're interested. Again, I'm looking at 3 inch pipe because it can hold about a liter in 9 or 10 inches and you only need a little more than a foot of 4 inch pipe on the end to get a 2.5:1 air-water ratio. The price per foot seems to be about $13 from most online retailers and I'd be willing to sell it for that price.

SSCBen

Re: Clear PVC pipe

Post by SSCBen » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:34 pm

I'm not surprised there's not much interest in this. I have made progress in finding a source of clear PVC pipe however. One of the companies I emailed sells cut pieces on eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/Alsco-Industrial ... 18Q2el1247

All I have to do now is wait for a 3 inch piece to show up.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:30 pm

The eBay store I mentioned about does have some 3 inch pipe, however, it also is ridiculously expensive.

Luckily I've found an online aquarium store that sells clear PVC pipe for much more reasonable prices. $20 for one foot still is expensive but more reasonable because I will have no extra.

Given these prices I'm considering smaller pipes because they'll essentially eliminate the "need" for clear couplers to see where the piston is on the first or last few inches. The pressure chamber will be longer and therefore less of it is obstructed by the coupler.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Looks like you won't need a bulk order now, which is a little encouraging.

If you don't mind the look, you could reinforce the pipe with a wire mesh, since the pressure rating is still a bit lower than usual.

Commander Soakage

Post by Commander Soakage » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:31 pm

pardon my not-being-here-for-a-while, but what's an LPD water gun
HASBRO stands for:
Horrible, Atrocious, Stupid, Bratty, Rotten and Obnoxious

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:32 am

Commander Soakage

Post by Commander Soakage » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:31 pm

sorry about that. but i have another question. how much? i'm getting a debit cart this summer, so i can probably use paypal.
HASBRO stands for:
Horrible, Atrocious, Stupid, Bratty, Rotten and Obnoxious

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:41 pm

See the more recent posts here; I'm not selling now that I've found a place that sells short lengths.