SuperCannon questions

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
soakernerd

SuperCannon questions

Post by soakernerd » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:27 am

I have heard many references to opening the Supercannon for maintenance. Since I am currently building one, I did not want to glue anything that would prohibit me from taking it apart. Can anyone help?

Drenchenator

Re: SuperCannon questions

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:58 am

Could you tell us where you read this? There is no way to open up SuperCannon II, but the way Ben built his one, you could unscrew the pressurization assembly and the ball valve so that you can do maintenance on the piston. It's just a side-effect of using threaded fittings on those parts. There is nothing to stop you from cementing, since these are threaded fittings.

Cement away!
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

adronl

Post by adronl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:17 am

Performing maintenance is one thing that isn't too hard as Drench said. Actually opening a SC and replacing the piston is completely different you have to have a threaded opening the same or larger than the ID (inner diameter) of the pipe. It can be done but I haven't really tried it out using pressure rated PVC it is easy using metal pipe and fittings but you have to be able to machine the end with the proper tool also it is more expensive.

If you are using a solid piston with good o-rings it should work and be low maintenance. Do make sure if your o-rings are rubber you use lithium grease it wont deteriorate the rubber like petrol based lubricants if you find another non-petroleum based it will work too and share ;) .

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:59 pm

You'd have to get threaded PVC. If you just glue, you'll have to cut the PC.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!