trench warfare

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
Killer 7

trench warfare

Post by Killer 7 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:47 am

Each year our AP European history teacher takes his class out for what he calls Trench Warfare. But in reality it is boys vs. girls with one party trying to defend a "Press box" at the top of some very steep bleachers on the edge of our track. I assume that the girls will take the defending spot because in general it is easier. To win the offensive team has to get one person to the top of the hill unscathed, meaning he can't get any water on him or it doesn't count. The hill is about 50-60' to the top and, I will be expecting heavy resistance from the girls team. As a bonus for the defense they cannot "die". Whereas the offense is dead after one hit. The lucky thing is I just happen to have some very powerful homemade guns in my arsenal which I plan on using. So does anyone have any ideas for tactics?

Silence

Re: trench warfare

Post by Silence » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:55 pm

Our AP Euro class basically entails reading a few thousand textbook pages throughout the school year, which is why I'm not taking it instead of US Gov. Yours actually sounds fun. :)

Are you supposed to run up a hill or up the bleachers? Are the two back-to-back? Most high school stadiums have an enclosed press box sitting on top of the bleachers on one side of the field.

Killer 7

Post by Killer 7 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:58 pm

We can go up either the hill or the bleachers. To win we just have to touch the press box, sorry I should have made that clearer.

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:55 am

why do you need guns if the girls cant be killed?

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:08 am

I think they have unlimited respawns. Most uphill-downhill and attack-defense games are run like that - elimination for one team, respawns for the other. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Killer 7

Post by Killer 7 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:13 am

I suppose it is more of an intimidation thing so we can temporarily incapacitate them temporarily, or distract them, and it seems pretty dumb to go into a water fight without a water gun to me...
The girls is my class are very easy to frighten, and I think a very motivated water warrior with a four foot long overpowered homemade water gun that can shoot 60' or more might just do the trick.
Also it is kind of like unlimited respawns although they do not have to go to a respawn point . They just keep going, and defending the hill.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:17 am

Oh...so it's a one-way soakfest? That's silly, if you ask me. :p

Most attack-defense battles simulate the fact that entrenched defenses have nearly unlimited reinforcements, whereas the attackers are on the go and far from their base. They also balance things by having the attackers outnumber the defenders, which may be partially reflected in your school water war. :)

Killer 7

Post by Killer 7 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:19 am

It is silly, but my teacher is anything but fair.

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:08 am

definately go with the oozinator, its extra intimidating. everyone will have loads of fun (no pun intended)

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:43 am

Oozinator? I don't think so.
What he needs are some high-volume/high-intimidation guns.
A good Homemade will be effective in for that and as for tactics, you'll need the rest of your team's cooperation to win effectively.

Could you draw a map of how this is set-up? I think it would help us to help you.
Captain-Canis: Founder of the Maple-Mountain-Marines.
Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

Gold Hawk

Post by Gold Hawk » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:45 pm

Intimidation: 3 words: Monster...X...L.

Power: five words: C...P...S...Two...Thousand.

Tell me how it turns out. I really don't think that it's fair. If your enemy can't be killed, it doesn't make sense to attack them at all. Just stay where you are. No one gets killed.
"Missing isn't the worst part. The retaliation is." -Gold Hawk

"Exsisto validus, fortis aequora." -Motto of the HydroHawks Soaker Assault Squad

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:16 am

I thought I wrote a response, but it seems I haven't.

Emperor James was joking (hopefully).

Water gun suggestions are not necessary because Killer 7's already mentioned that he has several homemade water guns that easily beat the Monster XL and CPS 2000 in both intimidation and power. Check out some of his threads here. They're really nice water guns.

We used to have a somewhat similar game occasionally in our high school track practices. Basically you start with one person who tags others and the point of the game is to survive the longest. Being tagged meant that you join the opposing team and when you're part of the opposing team you can tag others. Last person standing wins. I never won myself, but being stealthy helped. Hiding behind people was a good strategy until there was a good amount of people.

I'd imagine Killer 7's game would have fairly even teams from the start so I'm not sure what sort of tactics could be possible. A "wall of people" might work. The outer people would protect the inner people.

Another potential strategy would be to sit at the bottom and wait for them to make the move. Their momentum will carry them down and they'll be able to turn less quickly because they're moving fast already. Meanwhile you can run up, using some agility to miss the people. If you miss them all, they would have to make a stop and turn around to catch you, and given that you're already ahead and uphill, I think you've won.

Any intimidations from water guns can only help as well. ;)

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:43 pm

The rules sound heavily biased towards the defending team, so I wouldn't have any qualms about making and using some shields, which would probably help a great deal.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:15 pm

A few short-range Balloon-Launchers would give you a high intimidation factor.
For your case, I'd recommend using a solid, 3-person, elastic launcher, as you have plenty of people and long-range is unnecessary.

Without a map to look at, my generalized strategy would be to start a slow, concentrated advance on one side of the field, with shields at the front (Blue) and your homemade guns firing from behind them (Green).
At the tail end of this first group, a second (Yellow), smaller and lighter armed one is advancing (these people should be your sprinters), while an artillery unit of Water-Balloon-Launchers is waiting in reserve (Turquoise).

Step 1:The whole army (except the artillery) advances on one flank (For this example, we'll use the right flank). Shield users try to block the water as best they can, while heavily armed units behind them launch the high-output beams of water.
Step 2:When you see that the enemy force has shifted to block the slowly advancing waves, a signal is given and the heavies suddenly start shifting to their left, away from the cover of the shields and circling the targets, while blocking their opposition's ability to move to the left.
Step 3:Shield units continue to drive straight up-field, firing their weapons as they come in range. The artillery opens fire on enemies who are farthest left-field. The heavies should be busy laying down suppressive fire on the clumped up targets. Now the lightly armed sprinter group darts left as-well, out of the cover of the shields, continuing past the heavies and heading upfield on the far left side at a full run.
Even if the enemies realize what's going on, they may be too battered and blinded by the three-pronged attack to react.

This is what I can think up here and now, given that the team likely wouldn't be coordinated enough for much more complex maneuvers.
Last edited by WaterWolf on Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain-Canis: Founder of the Maple-Mountain-Marines.
Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

Killer 7

Post by Killer 7 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:23 am

Thank you all for the suggestions. I talked to some of the kids who had done this in previous vears, and they said that no one had tried water balloon launchers before.
As for a three-pronged attack, I think it might work. I expect that both teams will be somewhat unorganized though. Most of the kids in class are squirrely to say the least.
The shields are a good Idea, any suggestions on how to make a few good shields?