xxp 175 valve problem and fix

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Alg

Post by Alg » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:07 pm

Hi, I am a newbie here.

just thought I would share my fix for a broken valve on an XXP 175

a while ago my xxp 175 stopped working, water would just pour out of the pumping column. :(

after opening the gun up I realised it was the valve at the end of the pump that was broken.

the rubber bit of the valve had come loose. I tried with no success to get this valve fixed however I was unable to do so.

after giving up for a bit I had an idea. I took apart a cheap water pistol, the non pressurised kind that cost about £1. this had a simple ball baring valve in its pump.

I cut my XXP 175's pump away from the gun half way along its tubing to the rest of the gun. using some plastic tubing which was big enougth to fit the original tubing tightly and epoxy glue I solved the problem.

I used the large tubing to connect between the original stuff and the new valve (with lots of glue for good measure), and connected the other end to the original tubing left on the pump, put the gun back together and it worked.

I belive this valve actually worked better than the original

apologies if this fix has been posted before

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:22 pm

I've never seen this topic posted before, but I'm a newb to :( . It was good if not a bit difficult to understand, and can you include photos?

Alg

Post by Alg » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:38 pm

Originally posted by hunter@Mar 10 2005, 02:22 PM
I've never seen this topic posted before, but I'm a newb to :( . It was good if not a bit difficult to understand, and can you include photos?
[snapback]23015[/snapback]

sorry can't provide photo's as I didn't take any when I did it, and I think the gun has since been stolen(or I can no longer find it), could provide some Sketches tho

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:01 pm

Welcome to SSCentral. Make sure you've read and understood all the board rules. That includes using a capital letter at the beginning of each sentence. ;)

I don't remember hearing of a fix like this before, or indeed the problem, so well done! It's good that you've been able to fix it by yourself: if more people were that innovative it would be a big bonus to this community. :)

As hunter pointed out, some images in some from would be nice, if possible.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

Alg

Post by Alg » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:29 am

Hi, here are some sketches, there not that great but they should give you that basic idea

In addition to what I stated before, I not only the cut super soaker tubing, but also removed a bit so it would be about the same length once the new tubing and valve had been installed.

The piping used was clear plastic piping that was slightly stretchy and would fit over the original stuff so that it already made a good seal before epoxy was added. it was slid a couple of centre meters over the original piping before gluing to ensure a good seal and that it held even on the high pressure side.

Once I had stuck all this together I covered it in more epoxy just to make sure it was watertight

Godzillasoaker65

Post by Godzillasoaker65 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:04 pm

Yeah, right those sketches are bad. a lot better than mine! I sort of get what you did, but I'm no tech expert.
Soak, or be soaked that is the question!