Cricket match interrupted by water bomb

General water gun discussion.
Spinner

Cricket match interrupted by water bomb

Post by Spinner » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:06 pm

Came across this somewhat unusual news story regarding a first-class match between Lancashire CCC and Warwickshire CCC:

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/ ... 58223.html
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:26 pm

Sure is pretty crazy. I wonder if any of our UK members did it...though it must have been an elastic launcher. Are we sure it didn't come from the stands?

Where on the length did the water balloon hit? I'd imagine it would play havoc with the way the cricket ball bounces...maybe it was a Havoc WBL. ;) Interesting story, for sure--I never would have thought a water balloon would be a big deal.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:52 pm

I think that would have to be a pneumatic launcher.

Looking at the map, then there is little chance that an elastic launcher could get that sort of range, unless it was a massive three person launcher, and even then I think those get less range than an air powered one.

In today's terror climate, then anything landing in the middle of the pitch other than by natural causes is a major problem (as it could carry some highly poisonous substance - Dihydrogen Monoxide in this case)
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:00 pm

Yes, I was referring to three-person launchers, which I believe are actually fairly potent. However, I haven't gotten one because (yesterday I posted something like this elsewhere) they are bulky, inaccurate, require three people, and are slightly underpowered. Of course, they can fire much more quickly and for a battery you could attach the ends to trees or something...

I doubt they could have aimed or hit the pitch itself if they wanted to...getting that general area must have been luck. A pneumatic WBL, on the other, hand, would have been able to bombard the exact same position time after time if it was resting on something for stability.

Dihydrogen Monoxide...I love that joke. Funny, SpellBound Development doesn't know the word Dihydrogen. And it doesn't know its own name either.