New Website: Soaker Nook

Discussion of other water gun websites.
steelboot

New Website: Soaker Nook

Post by steelboot » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:11 pm

Hey, I made a site called Soaker Nook, most of the content is on forums but it's still great. I'm considering reconfiguring but if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Enjoy!

http://soakernook.webs.com/

That's the link ---^
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

Silence

Re: New Website: Soaker Nook

Post by Silence » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:25 pm

I saw some articles that I don't think I've seen posted before. I liked your eponymous law in the "Neighborhood Water Warfare," because it's matched my experiences fairly well. It does make the assumption that everyone brings their own water guns and they all use their own, though. Also, some linked might be in order...for example, you throw out the initialism RM and some readers may not get the connection. :cool:

I'm a little surprised that there's no direct link to the forums. That's probably a good idea for now, though, as people won't care about forums until you have enough content anyway.

Edit: the Soaker Nook has been added to our links page. Good luck!

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:24 pm

Thanks for adding it to the links page. I'm adding a links page on Soaker Nook as well as a link to the forums on which the site runs.

Thanks!
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:57 pm

The only thing I would criticise is the claim that 'you won't be doing much running'. That's true for deathmatch, but it's emphatically NOT true for Capture The Flag. There, speed on foot can and does make the difference between victory and defeat.

And of course in any type match, if you're forced to turn and run (say your gun breaks), you need to be quick enough to do that.

Also, neighbourhoods are of course different. American suburbia is very different to English inner city. I had a memorable CTF battle in the latter. Quite narrow and short streets, some alleys, lots of flanking and sneaking opportunities, walls and cars for cover.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:52 pm

Planned update will be postponed until the 10th. This will give me time to think up one more article.
steelboot pwns n00bs
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Very cool, steelboot. Read the "Choose Your Soaker Article". Have to say, very nice job. :cool:
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

Specter

Post by Specter » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:16 am

i'm going to have to suggest using a different template, or get some lessons/read tutorials on HTML and CSS

IMO that template doesn't match water warfare to me. but nice site in the meanwhile
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:33 pm

When I was writing that site, I wasn't making a site, I was making content. The purpose of The Soaker Nook isn't to have a flashy design, but to be a place where people can go for a bit of background. If you're serious about the content and you're reading it through, it shouldn't matter what the site looks like.

Personally, I think the site's design fits the "Nook" theme very well.
steelboot pwns n00bs
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:26 am

WEBS FAIL! I'VE REACHED MY PAGE LIMIT! Whole website being moved to better hosting. Should take a few days.
steelboot pwns n00bs
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

Specter

Post by Specter » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:08 pm

yeah freewebs kinda sucks. If you're mainly hosting text/html files (not alot of pictures, or only small picture files) you can probably use tripod's free hosting option. it gives you 20mb of space. and you can do templates or raw HTML
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october