Forum

Discussion of other water gun websites.
trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:56 am

I was wondering if I should create a water weapon forum. I know there are several free hosting sites.
Rereading these forums make me feel old >.<

Hyper_9

Post by Hyper_9 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:40 am

Originally posted by trekkie00@Jul 19 2004, 04:56 PM
I was wondering if I should create a water weapon forum. I know there are several free hosting sites.
You could, but really, al these little boatrds are not that good. It divides people and stuff. Why not just stay at SSC?

<<STAY AT SSC AND GET FREE STUFF>>>
<<<SSC:NOW ENDORSED BY BILL CLINTON!>>>

:P
Offical DMOZ Editor of "Recreation: Guns: Toy: Water Guns"
Soak On
HYPERACTIVE 4 EVER!

blaze

Post by blaze » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:03 am

Haha good luck. I tried for a week or two using up all my time to get forums. Free hosyting SUCKS. It's a fact of life. I got the best free hosting around, and guess what its MySQL hosting is like: IT SUCKS!

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:30 am

Any boards that are made anymore won't become popular... just let iScF and SSCn stay in charge. You'll only let yourself down and make a lot of enemies by making a new club. Trust me... I've tried. <_<
Whatever music you listen to probably sucks.

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:21 am

waterbridge didn't make any enemies by creating their own...
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:06 am

Originally posted by neobird@Jul 20 2004, 06:21 AM
waterbridge didn't make any enemies by creating their own...
Correct, but the Waterbridge forums are quite different to SSC and iScF in that they are run by a squad, not by one or two individuals over the Internet. The fact that most of them know each other in real life makes a difference. I personally like the Waterbridge forums, although sometimes they can be a bit annoying.

However, I wouldn't say there is any need for more forums, trekkie, unless you have a particular theme planned.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:25 pm

Recently posted by yours truly on IScF:
There might be a new water warfare board starting sometime in the future...I don't want to give away too much about it, but I'm kind of wondering if anyone would join, seeing that there are already 2 huge forums (this one and SSC) out there already.

Would anyone be interested? Beyond that, would anyone be willing to stay long enough to make it a worthwhile project?

Thanks,

Adrian

NOTE:Nothing's concrete at this point. A new board might not even work out. I'm just trying to gauge the interest level, see if it'd be worth doing.
Any interest here?

Adrian

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:28 pm

I'm sure it will have something special to offer, or else yo uwouldn't have planned it correct Adrian? But Trekkie, I wouldn't try a small forum right now, it's just a bad time.

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:31 pm

As I said at iSoaker.com,
If you do, I would probably sign up. I like to see what everyone thinks about water guns.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:15 pm

If you are going to open new forums/sites, the you should try to fill a particular "niche". SSC is mostly tech, iScF mostly reviews, etc. Small sites trying to cater to the same "niche" will die from the resulting competition. Spinner's Soaker Saga approach is working well, Waterbridge's forum is mainly for the team, and the Water Waterfare Republic is mainly about wars themselves. A few sites with general forums may work, but most will fade out.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:54 am

I actually plan on moving away from tech a bit and incorparating a few other new features into the site. Once you get started you can get more broad. ;)

The forum craze is pointless. At least 90% of all forums never get popular. You need to not only put effort into a forum, but make the people have a reason to come. That is kinda what Dux was aiming at. I personally don't think there is any need for a new forum. The online fanbase is too small currently.

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:16 pm

I'm "testing the waters" too, but in a different way. If you would like, you can visit my forum!

First member there gets to be Moderator!

Edit: Congratulations, Spinner! He was the first member.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:16 am

You know what makes a good forum. Or any site? Its the Web adress. People can remember names that Don't include hosting names, dots, slashes, and all that. Thats why sscentral.net works. Because Doom actually pays for the name. Or you could use Blaze's stragety to make his site name for free. Most people Don't know .tk but it is still much easier than: s4.invisionfree.com/Water_Gun_Network/index.php
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net
--------------------------------------------------------------

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:20 am

Let's just say I'm low on funds, and I don't have a credit card or PayPal.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:45 am

You can get a free .tk address from DotTK, as has been pointed out already.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.