Need cap for xp15 - help!!

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
tigger02

Need cap for xp15 - help!!

Post by tigger02 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:39 pm

Hiya
I have a neat little xp15 and is in need of a cap.
Sadly it is lost and my mini super soaker is in fantastic condition but can't be used without the cap. :(

Can anyone help please? I'm based in New Zealand. :D
Attachments
iS_supersoaker_xp15_2000_02.jpg
Last edited by tigger02 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add pic

C-A_99

Re: Need cap for xp15 - help!!

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:59 pm

There are 3 possible approaches to this that I can see. One is to go around looking for anything that happens to thread over and fit. It just has to fit reasonably; if it doesn't seal you can use electrical tape wrapped around the threads or something.

You can also try to contact Hasbro, just in case they have a cap.

Lastly, you can improvise a solution. In water blasters with seperate pressure chambers, you could simply use a cork (with a tiny hole drilled in) to plug it up, but for this gun, the cork will shoot off after too much pressure builds up. You may have to find a way to attach some PVC fittings (using epoxy/putty or whatever you need to get a good pressure-resistant seal) to it and then get those fittings to an endcap. Keep it compact or it defeats the point of the gun.

There is no instruction manual for this as you can see, so you'll have to do some improvising. Good luck.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Well, I think Hasbro is the first option. They usually will send a replacement, or even more with it!

Then I'd say building. Here's an idea with a cork: a rubber stopper with it. This would help it not fly out.

That's about all I know. Sorry for short answer.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:15 am

One other suggestion: See if the cap from the XP 215 fits. You should be able to buy that in the shops when summer comes around again.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:18 am

Well if you go around getting (or asking Hasbro for) new guns and what not, you'll still end up with a blaster with no cap. Unless Hasbro has them (or has a 215 cap that fits as Cantab mentioned), you'll have to improvise.

I don't know what a stopper setup would look like. If the stopper or cork can be pulled out by hand, it's not going to work.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:24 pm

Provided you accept it not being tethered, you'd have one cap to cover two guns, which isn't ideal, but still means both guns are usable - just not at the same time.

Indeed, I wouldn't advise a stopper. It's liable to blow out under the pressure, soaking the user at the least and maybe sending the bung flying dangerously.

You could in principle make a mould of the threads on the gun, and cast a cap. But I doubt many people have the means to do this.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:19 pm

Ya. I thought of the dangers of stoppers after that after the post. I think the XP 215s use the same caps, and they come in packs of 2, so one you could keep and one you could take the cap from the other (even though this would render the other useless).

Just contact Hasbro and ask for the cap. They will probably send one, or something that should work.

I just wish these smaller soakers had tethers: their caps lose themselves so easily.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:21 am

JuchTurtles wrote:I just wish these smaller soakers had tethers
They do, as can be told by looking at the picture of the XP15 above, and I can confirm the 215 cap is also tethered.
Of course, if you start taking caps off one gun to put on another, that's gonna require cutting the tethers.
Arsenal:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:35 am

Some blasters' tethers can be slipped out, though I'm unsure why this is not the case for many blasters. In most cases, tethers that can be slipped out won't do so accidently, but it has happened once when I filled a 2100 from a high pressure hose. Leave the tethers intact and don't take them out unless you absolutely have to for whatever reason. The worst by far would be to cut them off. (then you also get an annoying plastic piece that jingles around the reservoir and for many guns cannot be removed)

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:28 pm

I thought they didn't have tethers; I guess I'm just mistaken. Or maybe I'm thinking of guns like the AB.

Ya, I've accidentally taken out tethers, like on my XP 270. They aren't made that well, and that's how you lose caps.
SPLASH! You're dead!