Broken CPS splashzooka

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
JLspacemarine

Broken CPS splashzooka

Post by JLspacemarine » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:58 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and I have just found out how serious the super soaker universe is. It's sounds good to me because i always liked these guns.

So, here is my problem:

My soakers are 2 CPS splashzookas (my brother's one and mine).I tried them both yesterday:

First, i tried my CPS:

Good, this one works perfectly. But lets try the other one:

I don't know why but I never been able to fill it, water seems to enter in the soaker's internals and starts to leak everywhere :confused: :

I didn't try to open it yet because I'm pretty unfamilliar with the splashzooka's internal system and I would like to read what experts would do to repair my CPS splashzooka.

Thanks!

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:20 pm

Welcome to SSCentral, and let's hope you can fix your Splashzooka!

At first I thought there was just a problem with the quick fill seal, but then I saw the last picture. You clearly have a cracked tube somewhere inside, so you'll have to open it up anyway. A few questions though, before you open it up:
Does it leak no matter what angle it's held in? (I'm assuming so)
Can you shoot the soaker?
If so, does it leak while you shoot?
There are probably a few more questions others might ask, but I'd advise you to open this thing up. However, you might be keen on waiting--I'm sure a few others with more experience will see this thread later today.

When you're opening it up eventually, there shouldn't be too many problems--however, some soakers have unique parts that resist opening, and since I don't have a Splashzooka, I wouldn't know. However, in general, common sense should prevail--unscrew all the screws and tape them to a sheet of paper with the soaker's outline or even onto the soaker itself. Then, lift off the panel that has the screwholes in it and dry everything off.

Look for any possible glaring problems--a huge crack in the tubing, water oozing out from somewhere even when most of the bladder is deflated, a broken bladder, etc. If you can't find the problem (you probably will, though, since it seems like there's a huge crack somewhere due to the apparently quick rate of leakage), you will have to fill the soaker. I advise you to crease the hose to restrict some of the water flow--you'll probably get wet doing this anyway, but it's better than having a powerful jet of water shoot out at you from somewhere. For most soakers, you can pump air and place them underwater, or gently pump water--it's a shame that's impossible with a QFD-only soaker.

If and when you find the leak, things should be pretty straightforward. If it's just a small crack somewhere in the hard plastic tubing, dry everything off and use epoxy to seal up the hole. Make sure you don't use too much epoxy and make sure you wait a long time, because you don't want the glue plug to shoot out immediately if it hasn't dried yet; if possible, sanding or even cleaning the surfaces first helps, too. However, you can always check back with us with some screenshots, especially if the problem turns out to be pretty complex. Anyway, good luck with this repair!

And while you've got an open Splashzooka in front of you, you could always try doing the Mad Zook mod. It's pretty impressive, but possibly a bit too complex for what was originally just a repair :rolleyes: .

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:29 pm

From my experience, this is one of three problems:

- Leak in the plastic parts
- CPS bladder broken (some people think this is fatal, but it's an easy and benefitial repair)
- Clamp holding CPS bladder on not tight enough or broken (this happens when it appears the water is leaking from the bladder, but the bladder is undamaged)

Follow SilentGuy's procedure for the simple leak in a plastic part (more than likely the firing valve). However, remember to sand the area first so the epoxy or other strong bonding glue can stick to the plastic or tubing better.

Let us know when you have identified the problem or if you need any more information. For the leaks not in the plastic, I can provide a procedure or link to a thread. :)

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:35 pm

Does it leak no matter what angle it's held in?

Yes.

Can you shoot the soaker?

No, I can't fill the gun at all.

Ok, now I'm going to open it. I'll reply soon to let you know if the problem is identified and post pics if needed.

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:10 pm

Here it is,

Actually there IS a huge crack here:

And it makes all the way around:

Now i know what to do to fix it, but I'll ask you 2 questions:

Is epoxy the only thing to use to glue this?

Can you refer me a page on this site for this kind of repair?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:22 pm

Epoxy is just one of the glues you can use. There are other stronger ones that some people swear by, but you can't go wrong with epoxy.

Here's the most similar repair on our current website: http://www.sscentral.org/tech/repairs/tvr.php

You shouldn't have too much trouble with this repair. The crack does look rather substantial, but with the epoxy in the crack, the valve put in a clamp, and the outside epoxied as well, you should be able to get a good seal. The problem with the water gun on the website was that the CPS 2700's firing valve is extremely weak and prone to breaking to begin with. The Splashzooka's on the other hand is stronger. ;)

Mind if we use your before and after images in the future repair on the website? As I've probably said several times, we're working on a new repair center and I'd like to get as many images as possible.

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:27 pm

Thanks for the help!

I won't be able to fix it today because I'm going to buy some glue only tomorrow.

And yes, you can use my pictures. I'll also add pics the fixing steps that I'll do if you need them! ;)

See you tomorrow!

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:53 pm

Sounds good to me, though I don't see why there would be a long series of "fixing steps" to show the procedure. It's basically just the clamp and the glue; but it might be a good idea to show how you used the clamp or other minute details. Anyway, that looks like a monster of a crack, but it should be perfectly fixable. I wonder how the soaker might have broken...so how long has it been leaking like that?

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:31 pm

SilentGuy wrote: I wonder how the soaker might have broken...so how long has it been leaking like that?
I don't know much more about how I't has been broken, but I'd say that maybe someone dropped it nose first on the ground or something like that.... (you know, I'ts my older brother's CPS).

I couldn't use the soaker at all when I first discovered that it was broken, it was impossible to fill it: all the water was directly spilled out of the crack in the soaker.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:56 am

I'm too late to assist here but I will say two (2) things.

1) Welcome to SSCentral
2) Well done - this is a very very good use of the repair templates, and you have provided a large amount of information. I'm tempted to add the topic to my "favourites" folder so that I can link to it when someone comes along with:
No-one, just a another way the topic could have been posted wrote:my favurite soaker is borken, and I dont no what hapenned to it. I trid fillin it, but water cameout the sids, and whent over the gruond. its comin out thecracks in the case. my ohter soker like this is worrking fione, but this one wont shott. Plz hlp
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:07 am

Good,

I've finished fixing my soaker today. Here are few more pics:

the crack:
http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf20404be.jpg
sanded:
http://img85.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf20410wx.jpg
glue and clamp:
finished:
http://img74.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf20566ne.jpg

But, usually, how long is needed for the glue to dry completly?
Armory: AS Hydroblitz (x2), MI FlashFlood, STE TripleShot, XP Backfire, XP 215, XP 105, XXP 175, Big Bottle BLaster(x2), SC Power Pak, SpeedLoader1000, SpeedLoader 1500, SpeedLoader Double-Cross 3000, CPS Splashzooka (x2), CPS 1200, CPS 1500,CPS 2100, CPS 2000 Mk2, CPS 1-3-5

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:27 am

Given epoxy, I would say that around about now would be more than sufficent.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:53 pm

joannaardway wrote:Given epoxy, I would say that around about now would be more than sufficent.
I like that--a correct answer with a bit of humor. Surprisingly, vBulletin didn't mark that I hadn't read post #11, so I didn't respond. Anyway, this is an excellent repair, and it looks clean, well-done, and has good documentation--congratulations. This would be ideal for the new repair center.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:20 pm

Yep, right about now would be a good time. ;)

Check the tubes for dying times in the future. I've noticed different times from brand to brand. Mine says 6 hours, but for good measure, I usually wait 24. Remember, it won't hurt at all to wait extra time. You can only gain from waiting longer.

Nice images. Seems you have done everything as I said, so I don't imagine you'll run into problems in the future unless the power of the Splashzooka is greater than I think it is.

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:26 pm

It was maybe an excellent repair, but now it is hard to explain that it didn't worked.
Ben wrote:Seems you have done everything as I said, so I don't imagine you'll run into problems in the future unless the power of the Splashzooka is greater than I think it is.
Yes, it is. I filled it perfectly, but the second time I pulled the trigger, some glue popped off the crack (pshhhhhhhhhhhh) and it started to leak everywhere like seen on my first pics.

Now my splashzooka is reopened in front of me, broken again. But I have an idea, maybe I didn't add much glue IN the crack, and too many ON it. But first, I'll ask you guys, what do you think of this?
Armory: AS Hydroblitz (x2), MI FlashFlood, STE TripleShot, XP Backfire, XP 215, XP 105, XXP 175, Big Bottle BLaster(x2), SC Power Pak, SpeedLoader1000, SpeedLoader 1500, SpeedLoader Double-Cross 3000, CPS Splashzooka (x2), CPS 1200, CPS 1500,CPS 2100, CPS 2000 Mk2, CPS 1-3-5