What types of games do you play??

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
WaTer FigHt NoOb

What types of games do you play??

Post by WaTer FigHt NoOb » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:15 pm

Where i live we play a couple types of games. capture the flag, assault, vip, hostages, death match, and classic. Classic is basically no rules: just soak.

Any ideas on more types of games and game variants and how they are played? Also What are you favorite games and why?

DX

Post by DX » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:50 pm

The Ridgewood Militia and Waterbridge play two types of games: Standard 1HK Lives and Scenario-Based 1HK Lives. Both are relatively self-explanatory, I'll post more later, my free period just ended and I have to get back to class! :eek:
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

20quid

Post by 20quid » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:22 pm

Well I try to organise more paintball and airsoft style battles but most of them have turned into all out soakfests with no winners. I have had some good battles in the forest near my house but they were only small 2v2's.
"The only thing that scares me more than space aliens is the idea that there aren't any space aliens. We can't be the best that creation has to offer. I pray we're not all there is. If so, we're in big trouble."-Ellen DeGeneres

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:46 pm

Has anybody had any experience with SoakerTag? It seems like a good compromise between reasonable life (longer than 1HK) and a convenient and easy method to determine kills (better than total soakage, while still being able to determine who is "dead").

Although I don't really support the fanciful RPs, it might be interesting to have a SoakerTag RP--but a realistic one, of course. Somebody should start one if it has enough backing.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:52 pm

SM once had a realistic RP and it didn't get too far. People like the fantasy ones with their tanks and all.

SoakerTag and tags in general tend to be for the lower caliber teams. We've used the honor system and the fist sized kill rule for ages, and it still works, actually better this season than others. Having tags also does not automatically mean longer lives. In a 2 hour war, we still come up with 0-1 or 1-0 scores now and then, such as our opening night battle. Score and number of kills are relative variables which depend on the character and conditions of each individual battle.

What works for local teams works, but I would rather come to a night battle in all white clothing than put on some tag any time of the day.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:56 pm

Yeah, that's why I don't really like RPs in the first place...

Interesting opinion. I haven't really played much with SoakerTags yet, and I doubt I will (I have a few, but more of them will probably be too expensive), but I'll try it if I can. I never thought of a "fist sized kill"...it sounds interesting.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:02 pm

The "Fist-Sized Kill" rule is one of the most effective ways of determining hits ever come up with in 1HK games. Basically, your stream needs to make a wet spot roughly the size of a fist on an enemy's shirt. It eliminates disputes over spray and/or droplets. We also though have a direct hit rule where if one is hit directly by a decent shot, that is a kill too.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:48 am

How large a spot can a basic XP-sized stream soak? I still think the fist rule (haha, "fist rule" :D ) is a bit small--and that means a tiny pulse from a CPS gun, landing anywhere, will "kill" you. That's no fun :mad: .

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:50 am

SilentGuy wrote:How large a spot can a basic XP-sized stream soak? I still think the fist rule (haha, "fist rule" :D ) is a bit small--and that means a tiny pulse from a CPS gun, landing anywhere, will "kill" you. That's no fun :mad: .
That's the point. More strategy. More skill. More fun. I don't know about you, but I love strategy, whether it be board games, computer games, outdoor games, or water wars. If the other team scores a kill on you with only one hit, you need to be a good dodger, and place your shots well. You can't just run up close and unload. You have to plan out what you are doing. I've never had a 1HK war in my life, though I plan to this summer, but a 1HK war always sounds like the best kind of war. I can understand why Duxburian and other people he knows enjoy it so much.
EV Nova: - http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/
"A CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!" *Takes 'em home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.* -"snap!"- "A Max-D trigger!""

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:05 pm

As I've said elsewhere, 5ml (0.15 floz) hitting the same spot will create a fist sized spot, as long as it has a reasonable velocity.

Warfare is harsh. In reality a single bullet to most locations can kill you - so as this just counts T-shirts (i.e chest and abdomen - not whole body - also most likely kill-locations in war) - it's actually quite reasonable

If you don't like the 1HK rule, use 3HK or something else before you are considered dead. You would need to be honest for this one.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:22 pm

Well, maybe I'm just not as hard core as you guys, partly because of the people I usually play with. As far as I'm concerned, reality isn't neccessarily fun. I don't want to be out of the rest of long battle just because some shot accidentally hit me.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:59 pm

Most 1HK games have a respawn rule - either a time limit or a reach a certain location to respawn.

I don't play 1HK often - I tend to find anyone I do it with isn't that dedicated.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:36 pm

Okay, that makes sense. I don't like games without second chances, the liberal that I am.

Yes, nobody seems brave enough to do 1HK. It's not like airsoft (if you're familiar with it) or paintball, where being shot actually has a potentially damaging effect.

EDIT: Not that I really support 1HK or anything...

WaTer FigHt NoOb

Post by WaTer FigHt NoOb » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:29 am

I enjoy the taped tissue to the torso type of kill. Fragile one shot may kill, it might take one or two more.

cheap, easy to put on more, stops mad rushes from unintelligent fools...

DX

Post by DX » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:31 am

When 1HK is mentioned, people should say whether they are talking about 1HK Lives and 1HK Elimination, because they are totally different games. Lives you play for points and are never out for more than a short grace period. Elimination, you're done after one. Lives is obviously better, hence the reason all of our wars are 1HK Lives only.

I wish someone had filmed the night battle we had to open the season. That felt much like Ghost Recon, minus night vision. If you want to stop being rushed, get better guns. It's really quite simple. Especially modded guns, as no one rushes such a concentrated stream, or if they do, once will be it.