double shot

Threads about water gun modifications.
sleiby48

double shot

Post by sleiby48 » Fri May 01, 2009 8:56 pm

i need to know how to put an extra hole in to shoot twice as much. can anyone help me? im not sure what to do.

cantab

Re: double shot

Post by cantab » Fri May 01, 2009 9:07 pm

On what gun?

You'd generally be better off increasing the size of a single hole. One large stream will shoot further than two small ones.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

sleiby48

Post by sleiby48 » Sat May 02, 2009 12:36 pm

thanks. ill do that instead. btw its for a sneak attack.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat May 02, 2009 7:19 pm

Don't make it too large, since the pressure on most guns can't handle larger nozzles. For the sneak attack, I would recommend staying below 2.5mm, though I haven't shot it before.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat May 02, 2009 7:53 pm

The Sneak Attack's a piston pumper right?

Thus, its power will be limited by the internal tubing, but also by your own strength. Don't drill the nozzle too wide unless you've got decently strong arms.

To be honest I don't reckon it's worth doing full stop. Generally, stock nozzles are the ideal size, and they're always smooth internally - when you drill you get a rougher surface, which can actually decrease performance.

Of course, if you don't care so much about range and want the guns for a close-combat weapon, then nozzle drilling can be good.

Another option with the Sneak Attack might be to change one of the angled nozzles to a straight one. I'm not sure what it's like inside - maybe plugging the old nozzle with glue and drilling a new one would work? Altering one nozzle on a gun with a selector is a 'safe' mod - even if the new nozzle isn't good, you still have the others.

My Water Warriors Argon has had the nozzle sawn off (as opposed to drilled). It didn't work as well as I''d hoped, but now I do have a veritable water shotgun - the blast breaks up very rapidly, reducing overall range. I wouldn't use it in a serious battle but in a soakfest it could do well.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun May 03, 2009 3:31 am

Some guns are better with drilled nozzles. The Max-D 6000, Flash Flood, and Arctic Blast are all great for nozzle drills, provided they're done so smoothly. Sawn off usually won't work as well as a drill, and obviously doesn't work on nozzles that aren't conical.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun May 03, 2009 5:54 pm

Yeah, I learnt the hard way that sawing off a conical nozzle doesn't work, because even 'conical' nozzles have a straight bit at the very end. If it's conical internally to the very tip

Personally I think the AB is better with threaded endcaps on the flood nozzle. (I found the neck of a soda bottle snugly fit around the existing nozzle, and then bottle caps are essentially free). It's a huge fat valve and pipe leading to it, so there's potential for power there. Unfortunately, the Max-D mechanism on my AB's flood nozzle broke, and the rubber-band bodge repair broke too. I think I might attach a rod to the valve and take it out the top, like a torque arm.
Arsenal:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun May 03, 2009 6:41 pm

Drilling the small nozzle is faster to do and keeps the trigger functuality, though the PVC nozzles do give room for error and perform much better. (plus if you have good nozzles, like water balloon fillers, you can usually attach those)

My FF's valves have been screwy for a long time. I did manage to save the main trigger by de-Max-D-ing it (what a tongue twister) and using rubber bands, but I'll need something else for the flash flood. My original plan was to first remove all Max-D parts, then drill 2 holes into the valve arm and drill 2 holes to a metal plate and screw them on w/ nuts and bolts. After that, I attach the arm to the grey plastic trigger and put some rubber bands on it to facilitate closing. (or maybe not since they may not work anyway) Essentially, the trigger will work backwards; push it forward to shoot, push it back to close. Unfortunately, the controlling of the valve still isn't direct enough, which will likely cause problems, so I'll have to cut off some of the plastic frame and get a torque arm up.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun May 03, 2009 7:50 pm

My original fix involved a wire attached to the existing valve arm, then taken out the back by a small notch cut in the top of the back of the handgrip. So you pulled the wire to shoot. Two handed, but so's it originally. The valve was closed again by rubber bands - but that didn't work properly as I mentioned.

I see no reason why the FF and AB can't be made to perform like a 'true' CPS, albeit with a shorter shot time. You've already got big valves and pipework, unlike most small guns. Add a suitable nozzle (say about 5x) and you should be done. Maybe a light colossus could help too. The Water Warriors Krypton and Pulsemaster show that you can have a powerful weapon with a small PC.

Unfortunately, I've yet to put my money where my mouth is on this matter, because the damn things break.
Arsenal:

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun May 03, 2009 8:49 pm

Update: I just got the damn thing half-working. I opened it up and closed the flood valve manually. It seems to need to be turned further clockwise than normal to seal - and there's a very exacting angle for it to make a seal.

Don't have anything to make a torque arm with at present, so I just had to close the flood valve and screw the gun back together. So now the stream fires but the flood nozzle's a paperweight.
Arsenal: