Measuring range

General water gun discussion.
Spinner

Post by Spinner » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:32 am

I've been reading the two articles on SSC and iSc regarding statistics, in particular the measuring of range. What I wanted to know, though, and couldn't find, was how high the blaster in question should be raised off the ground. I believe holding it up higher would slightly increase range, but I am unclear as to whether this is actually done (which might be one reason for differences between different individuals' results), or whether the blaster is practically touching the ground.

Of course, this may only make a difference of a few inches, but I'd like to know either way.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:01 pm

Very good question spinner, a question I do not know the answer to. If I was doing it, I would say at a straight angle at 0 degrees, but then again who better to explain it than Isoaker himself :)

edit- I reread the post to get a better clarity. Yes firing a gun at a 0-45 degree angle slightly increases range, but decreases accuracy too. If Isoaker didn't mention at what angle the blaster was tested at he 'ought to :P

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:35 pm

Originally posted by Jadefalcon09@Apr 12 2005, 07:01 PM
Very good question spinner, a question I do not know the answer to. If I was doing it, I would say at a straight angle at 0 degrees, but then again who better to explain it than Isoaker himself :)

edit- I reread the post to get a better clarity. Yes firing a gun at a 0-45 degree angle slightly increases range, but decreases accuracy too. If Isoaker didn't mention at what angle the blaster was tested at he 'ought to :P
[snapback]23840[/snapback]

Thanks, but I'm not talking about the degree of firing - it's clear in both articles that the blaster is tilted at 45 degrees for the maximum range shot. I simply want to know how high off the ground the whole blaster is. ;)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:30 pm

I fire mine from where I hold the gun to keep the range as realistic as possible. I don't know how high that is though.

I doubt there will be any serious difference in ranges shot as long as the gun wasn't tens of feet of the ground. There should be some sort of standardization however. With such standardizations, accuracy of statistics should be higher and have less differences between different statistic takers.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:12 pm

Funny, I thought I had written it somewhere. Oh well... when testing, blasters are held with nozzle approximately 1m off the ground. As Doom noted, unless there is a huge height different, even a few feet up or down won't change range much, definitely not more than the error I figure there is when recording ranges in the first place.

:)
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:51 am

Originally posted by isoaker_com@Apr 12 2005, 10:12 PM
As Doom noted, unless there is a huge height different, even a few feet up or down won't change range much, definitely not more than the error I figure there is when recording ranges in the first place.

:)
[snapback]23851[/snapback]

Okay, thanks to both of you! It confirms what I suspected somewhat. I should try and do some range-testing this afternoon, then. ^_^