Need an SC gun.

Buy, sell, trade, or discuss prices of Super Soakers and water guns here. (For members only)
martianshark

Need an SC gun.

Post by martianshark » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:47 pm

About how cheap can I get an SC soaker? I really only need the QFD (preferably one with the little faucet on it), but a gun to go with it would be nice too.

-G-JiV-

Re: Need an SC gun.

Post by -G-JiV- » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Look through Ebay, there are lots of SC SOakers for sale....

Just have a look^^ They also sell SC QFD s :)

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:31 pm

Welcome to the forums. I think martianshark may have found a solution though, as this thread is close to 4 months old.

That said, if you, martianshark, indeed still have not found a QFD, I'd have to suggest building one. I think you know where to look by now.

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:07 pm

Thanks, it is nice to see that administration is activ and online^^ :D

Nice to meet one of the chiefs here ^^

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:47 pm

I already did look on eBay. I didn't really find anything, but I'll look again.

I wanted a QFD before building my own so I could make sure I'm doing it right.

Edit: Those prices are rediculous. They want over $50 for most of the small Super Chargers, and it costs $18 just for a QFD.
Last edited by martianshark on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:02 am

You don't really need a QFD to build your own. What matters is that you have a source of pressure (this can be a homemade pump gun, a normal CPH/APH, a hose, whatever) and a connection to the SC nozzle. You probably noticed that the SC nozzle has an O-ring around it; this is so that it seals with the QFD. What you need to do is to find a PVC piece that'll fit onto the SC nozzle. I used a 3/4" threaded plug I found at Home Depot which happened to be shaped to fit the SC nozzle, so I just drilled a hole into it and threaded it into a 3/4" PVC valve. Someone else here worked on a QFD and used a 3/4 male adapter to fit the SC nozzle in.

You can also try directly plugging the SC nozzle into the hose. My friend found this out and it is worth trying.

But assuming that doesn't work nicely (which you can tell by how drenched you are after filling it), building may be needed. With the piece that fits the SC nozzle aside, you have two other issues to deal with.

First, the QFD must be able to be positioned on the ground. You need to use an elbow (or tee if you want to build a multi-use device and have a good shooting nozzle along with a QFD) to do this so that the SC nozzle is pointed downwards on the ground when filling. This prevents the water pressure from creating a nasty surprise by detatching violently from the SC nozzle and soaking everything around.

Second, you need a way to activate the QFD. I built mine using a ball valve but this requires an extra hand to operate. It's not difficult to do so, just a bit less intuitive. The "real" QFD has a pull-valve like plug that shuts water flow when no SC nozzle is pushed down against it. You can implement the same thing by refering to the homemade check valve article, as someone else was able to figure out previously. However, I haven't done this myself so I can't offer any specific tips nor designs for doing this.

The cost for building a full QFD/nozzle hybrid like the VHS I made should be $9 or so. However, it will cost more if you want brass, which is more durable. (I've had a PVC VHS break before since the hose was long and the summer heat built up a lot of pressure in it.)

This thread may help if you want the QFD to open by itself.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:16 pm

I meant to say that I want to make my own SC fill port, and I need a real QFD to make sure it works with my homemade SC port.

Is an unthreaded plug the same size?

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:36 pm

Do you have an SC based blaster already? If not, I or someone else will have to go find some measurements. The O-ring was a certain size that I can't recall at the moment, and you just need something that'll seal against said O-ring.

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:51 pm

You are lucky! I have just built a QFD and a QFD adapter last week. It is really easy! You will need a PVC-pipe(have to fit rather exactly), O-ring and glue...

Building up a QFD is a bit more work as you can imagine :D

Here are some pictures of my QFD-adapter :) Can now be connected with thousands of things :p

Measurement: diameter is 16 mm(millimeter), Austrian scale unit, hope you could use this^^ ;)
O-ring is about the same size, but you should cut a small vale outside the PVC-pipe, where the o ring fits, about half deep as the o-ring is thick... :)

I hope you understand what I mean, it is not so easy to translate things into English... :)

Good luck :rolleyes:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 am

Alright, I pulled up the dimensions (U.S.) for the SC O-ring.
3/4" OD, 9/16" ID, 1/8" thickness

That means the SC adapter's diameter (where the groove that holds the O-ring) is 9/16" and the O-ring goes out 3/4". So basically you need something that can seal against 3/4". The original QFD is slightly conical (its diameter starts more loose and gets tighter as it goes in) which guarantees a fit. However, this may not be do-able with homemade QFD's, not easily anyway.

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:54 am

With a bit of luck and mechanical understanding, such an adapter is built in some minutes. Mine fits perfect and no water comes out anywhere^^
I can just say, use a PVC-pipe that is a bit to small, so it can be put in as far as QFD will allow. Then you just have to find a big O-ring, or such a seal-ring:

http://www.daedal.de/bilder/produkte/gr ... kannen.jpg

Just be creativ, it is not difficult^^ But if you all think, it is difficult or even "un-doable" I may be a genius :p
Last edited by -G-JiV- on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:02 pm

I'm already pretty sure I know how to build it. I just wanted a real QFD to make sure it worked with it.

Edit: Your pictures weren't appearing when I posted this. What kind of pipe did you use?

By the way, what language do you normally speak?
Last edited by martianshark on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.