Go Back   Super Soaker Central > Water gun technology > Homemade water guns > Notable homemades
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the SSC Forums! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and more. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Important note: The SSC forums are now in archive mode. WaterWar.net is the new online discussion board for the water gun hobby.

Old 07-14-2004, 01:11 PM   #1
Ben
Founder

UserID: 1
Default The Beast

Today I finally finished a real CPS homemade. Based upon my APH design and improved, it is fairly powerful and I'm glad I made it. Not because it is fairly powerful though, the APH is much more powerful and I'd rather use that if I wanted power. What is important is that it was the first one, and I noticed some problems with it.

First off, I used leftover parts so it's internal diamter was 1/2" instead of 3/4" or even 1". That wasn't much of a problem on any nozzles except for riot blast though, normal CPS guns have a smaller internal diameter still. Range is something like 48-54, I did a few tests with the stride method, nothing too accurate. No straws were in the nozzles.

The real thing of importance in this homemade is what it didn't become. The gun I designed to have a PC about twice as thick as it is not Collosused. I used some larger CPS tubing to Collosus it, and after about 4 pumps all that did was pop off the tubing barbs. I found the PC and clamp around 20 feet behind the gun each time. I could feel the power in the pumping, it was good, but obviously the system couldn't handle it. In the future, other than making the gun have a larger ID (with larger tubing and better Collosusing methods), is to attach the center CPS tube better. I am not sure how that would be done, I think we may have to use larger barbs and protect the tubing a bit so the clamp could be put on tighter.

Instead of doing my original idea, I put 3 or 4 layers of bike tubes over the PC. It's not exactly even and I'm thinking of taking them off. I will be experimenting with the PC systems, maybe I'll find a solution to my original problem.

http://www.sscentral.net/images/cps/DSCN0220.JPG

[email address] / Please read this before emailing or PMing me

Do not ask me water gun questions by email or PM. Please post the question at the forum. Private questions and suggestions are welcome by PM and email. Also, I do not sell or buy water guns online.

Last edited by Drenchenator : 12-04-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:11 AM   #2
Ben
Founder

No comments? I thought this would be a popular thread.

Do not ask me water gun questions by email or PM. Please post the question at the forum. Private questions and suggestions are welcome by PM and email. Also, I do not sell or buy water guns online.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:06 AM   #3
Spinner
Administrator

UserID: 77

Sounds good. What kind of output are you getting?

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:09 PM   #4
Storm

UserID: 215

Wow it sounds cool, do you think in the future you'll be able to build a better one that will go farther then the APH?
Old 07-15-2004, 12:18 PM   #5
BlueSmudge

UserID: 97

Doom, I don't know how much you know about plumbing and such, but there is something you are missing. A barb can never hold tubing. It is ment as a stable place to attach a hose clamp. A hose clamp, for those who don't know is a ring that you put around the places of attachment for tubing. It is tightened with a flathead screwdriver. Once on, almost nothing can pull it off. I use it on all my barbs, even gravity flow.

Hose clamps usually sell for about $0.60 and come in all tube sizes up to like 4 inch.

BlueSoak.net
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSmudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
Ben
Founder

Smudge, I said I used them. :huh:

It seriously was more powerful than you think. It burst off the tubing barbs even with the clamps on so tight it was cutting into the tubing almost. Believe me, I know what I'm doing. The CPS tubing wouldn't even stay on without clamps.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:41 PM   #7
BlueSmudge

Quote:
Originally posted by Doom@Jul 14 2004, 01:11 PM

The real thing of importance in this homemade is what it didn't become. The gun I designed to have a PC about twice as thick as it is not Collosused. I used some larger CPS tubing to Collosus it, and after about 4 pumps all that did was pop off the tubing barbs. I found the PC and clamp around 20 feet behind the gun each time. I could feel the power in the pumping, it was good, but obviously the system couldn't handle it. In the future, other than making the gun have a larger ID (with larger tubing and better Collosusing methods), is to attach the center CPS tube better. I am not sure how that would be done, I think we may have to use larger barbs and protect the tubing a bit so the clamp could be put on tighter.
Sorry, emediatly it just says the tubing poped off the barbs. Later on it says the clamps where found a ways away. It didn't say hose clamps, and I didn't understand it. Passing right by it the first time. And then also at the bottom of that paragraph. I read it too fast.

I thought I was helping. <_<

My cps gun holds together nicely. I used two hose clamps on each end, but ti shouldn't make much of a difference. I doubt it is as thick of a PC as yours.

Maybe you should try a restraint, like a clear bottle or something so that the PC can only expand width wise. I sorta did this on mine, however it was a completely different design where both ends were conected to something. I don't know if this will help at all, since if it is powerful enough, it will find away out.

I think a smaller barb might work better?
EDIT: is there something on the end of that so the PC can't expand lengthwise? Maybe all im saying is pure trash. I know so little about CPS, and even less about cylidrical CPS.

BlueSoak.net
Old 07-15-2004, 02:24 PM   #8
blaze

UserID: 94

I doubt that I'll ever make a cps homemade. They're just too dang complicated. An air pressure gun has more potential then a cps, and is much easier to make. The only cps homemade I MAY make is a kind of Splashzooka 150oz. But other than that, I have been discouraged even more. Thank you though, I didn't want to waste my money on something that wouldve been even worse.

I still say to get a cap at the end of that PC like BS said.
blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 03:18 PM   #9
Ben
Founder

Ok, now I've got it working. It's PC still is questionable, I should have got larger ID tubing to Collosus it with. I had to hold the strips together with electrical tape to get it working. I pumped it 15-20 times and then range tested. No wind, no straws, no glycerin, no bull. The nozzle was 3/16" because it was the only 1/2" nozzle I had other than 5/64".

Range was 58 feet to the last large puddle. 63 feet 6 inches to the last drop. This is just amazing, with some more Collosusing it could shoot over 60 all the time! And then if I get a better nozzle, straws and glycerin it's could go over 70! I am very pleased with the results, just sad that my gun's PC doesn't hold together as well as I hoped. If I used one slightly larger ID strip I wouldn't have any problems with the PC.

I now plan to use this gun as a test again when I buy more CPS tubing. I am going to add not another layer to the center one, but a third. I'm hoping that'll make it buck like a shotgun. I also plan on making a gun with a larger ID, 3/4" should work well.

Old 07-15-2004, 03:25 PM   #10
Storm

Wow, that would be one Hasbro HQ of a good sniper gun. How much did that cost you about?
Old 07-15-2004, 03:34 PM   #11
Ben
Founder

It was leftover parts. I'd guess $30-$40. Much better than a CPS 2000. :Hey, that's funny.:

Old 07-15-2004, 03:37 PM   #12
Storm

Are you going to be putting this under homemades section on the site later? Also will you include pictures?
Old 07-15-2004, 05:01 PM   #13
BlueSmudge

Its basically already on the site. Just put CPS tubing in place of the air pressure PC's.

BlueSoak.net
Old 07-15-2004, 05:14 PM   #14
Ben
Founder

I designed it a bit differently too. Look at the pic if you have no patience.

I probably will put this on the homemades section, but I do plan on making a better version and that article will be updated.

Old 07-18-2004, 10:45 AM   #15
Spinner
Administrator

UserID: 77

Um...could you make an estimate in Xx? Are we talking about 20x streams here?

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote