Natural Power

Threads about water gun modifications.
Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:03 pm

I got bored one day so me and one of my friends made a large catapult up in the woods near our base (during water wars in our area) I want to know, is it allowed to be used in a water war?

It is simply a long (and very thick) half yew log with a bucket lashed onto the end. This is attached to a frame to stabalise it. To fire, the yew is pulled back (by hand) and the bucket is then filled with either water or water balloons. It has an amazing range and capacity.

If anyone cares (and doesn't already know), yew has a strong heartwood and a flexible "skin" so when they are pulled back together and then released, the heartwood snaps back and creates a powerful spring (longbows were made from yew).

Anyway, I want to know if it's legal in a water war, or not.
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

blaze

Post by blaze » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:24 pm

The rules to a water war are for the two teams to decide, not for us! By my rules, though, I would say that it is, since it is just a method of throwing water balloons, in a sense. But go and talk to the captain of the other team and find out if you two agree. But make sure to say "a little water balloon catapult", not a "friggin huge catapult with hella awesome range and power". If you do the latter, he most likely won't agree. In fact, just go up and tell him that catapults are allowed, Don't even ask.

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:25 pm

sounds like a plan

thanks
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

USSA

Post by USSA » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:34 pm

don't tell him just use it in your next fight... if he comes up with some stupid retaliation say that he never specified that they coundn't be used.... then agiain they will probably say "ok from now on no catapults" if the says that u have 2 options a) stop using it or b. find loopholes- build a trebuchet. If he outlaws that then say that it is irrisponsible to continue limiting the potential of the water fight... (note: thats how I work - I love loopholes) Your other option is to tell him m "Catapults are fair right" then if he comes back after the fight coming back on what he said poinnt out that he's beiing very jelous and that he should make his own or stop complaining. On that note though I ge everything in writing so that they can't can't back on what they said without looking really stupid

note that wan't very easy to read beecause this mac makes revising what you wrote near impossible.

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:13 pm

ha ha I think I will Hey, that's funny.

and I agree loopholes are great, especially if they wind the person up

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:59 pm

I've used catapults before, I've built catapults before and I just hate it when people want to make them for a water war! They are extremely hard to build unless you make a very small one, they are much harder to make than most any homemade. I've helped build maybe one or two and it took well over 10 people. You'll have to know loads of knots and other stuff as well. I wouldn't have been able to make it if it wasn't a Boy Scout activity.

We did test them with water balloons in a very large water balloon battle. In fact it was the largest battle to this date I have participated in, probably over 500 people. The only weapon you could use was your catapult. In a real war like ones we battle, catapults are useless, requiring many people to operate and much work to create and maintain them. You would be better off using the 5 or 10 people who will operate it as a normal soldier.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:06 am

You can make a simple type of catapult that takes 3 or less people to operate. It can be as large as you want and can shoot large objects like water balloons. It involves simple winding up of a rope but works great. Ive never tried this kind in a water war, but its been in the back of my mind and could potentially work for base defense.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

blaze

Post by blaze » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:01 am

If this catapult is large enough, you could use the REAL water nukes, regular 12" balloons filled up with water. You would have several people nuking their base and the area around it so that they run away, then a scout from your team would sneak in and steal a flag. This, of course, is only for CTF, and only if your catapult can fit a 12" water balloon.

You know what would always be fun? This is kind of off topic, but for your water war, you could get a soaker, preferably a big one with a back that goes behind you when you hold it, open it up, and somehow find a way to get tubing from a hose up to the trigger valve, which would be disconnected from the PC (you would have a powerful hose attachment behind the nozzles, I have an attachment that has a 7x size nozzle shooting about 40 feet). Then you would stand in front of a bush or something so the enemy can't see the hose, and you would have a powerful unlimited stream!

Sorry for being off-topic.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:50 pm

I've fired even single person catapults before, and on the other ones even used multiple 12" balloons. Accuracy is non-existant. I don't care if you say "well you could train enough" because it's not going to happen or be worth it. Take this from experience, catapults and similar devices are not for water wars. Maybe a war with over 100 people, but not the wars we are in.

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:09 pm

It's really simple to use (two man crew), and it can be moved so we can set it up near enemy bases, and it can be aimed. We Don't have to "train enough", it is resonably accurate, (it gives an accurate spread of water if you see what I mean), so I'll take Doom's advice, however I will keep it in my base incase we come under siege, then they're for it.

p.s. in my teams base, there is a tapped spring, so the people who are keeping us under siege will run out of water before we do.