Storm gun broken - please help.

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
blub man

Storm gun broken - please help.

Post by blub man » Tue May 09, 2006 8:58 pm

I have a storm er, 600, i think (the label got washed off ages ago), and the pump has worn down and is leaking very badly. I have another storm which is better (typhoon force 2), so i do't mind if it can't be fixed, but can i use the parts to make anything fun or can it be fixed.

Please help!

Blub man
Last edited by blub man on Tue May 09, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue May 09, 2006 9:03 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central. I've moved your thread to the appropriate forum.

Before I can help you better, we'll need a few questions answered, as outlined in this thread: http://forums.sscentral.org/t2227/

To me, this sounds like a problem that could be as simple as an O-ring being out of place. I can't determine that from a simple description however. Please open up your Storm 600 and take a picture of the internals, especially around the problem area. Opening your water gun might even help you identify the problem yourself - it could be obvious the minute you opened. ;)

So get back to us with some more information, and I'm sure we could help.

blub man

Thanks for the quick reply

Post by blub man » Tue May 09, 2006 9:21 pm

The main problem is that the pump can't gain ANY presure. I think this is because the pump has worn down and is leaking. I have just dug it out afer the winter and have had to make a replacement trigger, i was just testing it once and all i noticed was the tank wouldn't presurize. I have opened it and im pretty shure the problem is in the pump. Its quite old, about 4 years, so i thought it had just worn down. Im not sure about the model, but its definetly a storm about the same size as a 600. I did realise the pump was getting harder and harder to pump right up untill it stopped working.

Blub man

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue May 09, 2006 9:37 pm

This could be one of three things from what I am seeing:

1) the pump's seal is not on correctly
2) the reservoir cap is no attached tight enough
3) one or more of the valves are broken

Judging by your saying that the pump was getting harder until it no longer functioned, I would say that the most likely problem would be the pump's seal becoming detached. Open up your Storm 600 and see what's going on in there. Remove the pump and take a look at the end where the seal is. If the seal is detached, reattach it (it should just need to slide back on). If the seal is attached, the pump likely is not the problem, so report back here.

blub man

thanx

Post by blub man » Tue May 09, 2006 9:43 pm

thanks for the advise, i think its definetly the pump seal, although i can't see anyhting has come lose.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed May 10, 2006 7:03 am

Hmm. I don't really know my storm guns.

However, my rearch says this is a PR gun, so it might be possible to adjust it to use a bike valve. It wouldn't be as practical as the original pump, but would allow higher pressures...
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

CROC

Post by CROC » Wed May 10, 2006 10:47 am

I had this exact same problem with a Nerf gun. The problem is the O-ring slides way to easily and therefore cannot build any pressure. You need to take out the pump, get off the O-ring and replace it with a new one of the same inner diameter.
:cool:
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed May 10, 2006 2:32 pm

You should also consider outer diameter.

@ blubman: As a quick note, "Help please" was not the best choice of topic title.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

blub man

Fixed

Post by blub man » Thu May 11, 2006 6:08 pm

Yay. I fixed the problem, The orings had worn down slightly, but instead of replacing them i tryed using some sylicon lubricant grease. THIS SUFF IS AMAZING. It was working better than normal about 5 minutes later. I recomend buying this because its really useful for everything. :D :D :D :D
Who cares what temperature it is...GET SOAKED TODAY

Blub manImage

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 13, 2006 6:57 pm

So exactly what happened? Did the lubricant create a better seal by filling in the tiny openings in the seal, or what? Maybe this should be transferred to Physics or Homemades now :D ...

blub man

Post by blub man » Sat May 13, 2006 9:20 pm

basically yes, it filled the gaps between the seals and the shaft aswell as lubricating them.
Who cares what temperature it is...GET SOAKED TODAY

Blub manImage

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 13, 2006 10:23 pm

Well, that's what lubrication really does--it fills in any microscopic crevices which would otherwise cause excessive friction, giving you a smooth, free-gliding surface. I just wanted to know whether it could actually seal off the holes that may have gone through the rubber--and in another thread, I noticed you said that you layered it on thick. Thanks for the information, though.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sun May 14, 2006 3:04 pm

@ blub man (and as a general note to others): Changing the title of the original post will not change the thread name - I believe that only moderators can do that. If you want to change the title, leave a friendly note to a moderator.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 14, 2006 7:09 pm

Well, either some moderator changed the thread title, or changing the first post's title does change that of the thread. I'm assuming the former is the case, as joannaardway didn't notice the title's difference. Actually, as the problem appears to be fixed, this doesn't really matter any more...

I just don't see the need to have two or three topics that just talk about the apparent superiority of silicon lubricant. I think a thread merge is in order...and anyway, that increases the chance that this thread won't die so quickly...

EDIT: In Duxburian's ITWC thread, the title still says "Water Launchers," but he tried changing it by editing the first post's title to read, "Water Cannons (formerly called Launchers)." Clearly, that didn't work for him.
Last edited by Silence on Sun May 14, 2006 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon May 15, 2006 12:03 pm

I did the change myself through the mod toolbar. I merely made the change, and then told people so that they were aware of the inability to change it like that. If you check - the titles are slightly different...

I'll merge the topics later. I have an A-level exam in a little while.