2004 SSCentral Site Award Discussion

Discussion of other water gun websites.
Spinner

Post by Spinner » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:15 pm

SSCentral propose to award various sites with banners for their various good aspects, such as best tech section.

These awards will be, er, awarded, by members of the forum voting for the site they believe to be the best in the category being discussed. Sites are also nominated by the members of the forum.

As for categories, these are the ones thought up so far:
  • Best new site of 2004 (applies only to sites with official release date in 2004)
  • Best tech section
  • Best 2004 reviews
  • Best articles written in 2004
  • Best new site concept (possibly)
If you think there should be another category, please say so! We're open to your suggestions, and will make a decision on whether to implement your ideas based on merit. B)
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:02 pm

Best look (graphics). I like the "best new site concept." A lot of new sites came out with good concepts. It's worth putting in there.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

DX

Post by DX » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:18 am

Some suggestions for more categories:
.Best navigation
.Best layout
.Best gallery
.Most unique site
.Best Overall site-this would be the highest award and could apply to a site regardless of starting date. I'm not sure if this would work, as SSC or ISC would always win it :P

Anyway, I think that future yearly site awards should be held sometime in mid-December, except this year's, which is now. Mid-December would be deep enough in the year and also better than late Dec, when many people are on away on vacation. I really admire the Aquatica awards, they were really well done, and I think these awards can be even better! One last suggestion: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places for each category. My 2 cents. B)
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:45 am

Thanks for all your feedback. Interesting to hear your ideas for categories.

I like the best graphics award, I think that could work. I'm not desperately sure about the others, but perhaps they would work. I'm doubtful that "Best Overall Site" is a good idea, it wouldn't look too good if SSC won to have "SSCentral - Winner of the 2004 SSCentral Site Award for Best Overall Site" emblazoned on the home page. :Hey, that's funny.: Maybe a "Best Overall Non-SSCentral Site" award would work better?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:33 pm

I personally think the site awards should be for developing websites or sites from a certain period. Essentially, I don't want well established sites such as SSCentral and iSoaker.com getting awards because that will be just plain unfair. Well established is the key word, if someone has been working on their site for a long time and it's not at the top, the site of course would qualify. The true award for sites of that magnitude is the satisfaction of running a site that popular, at least in my opinion. Frankly, I wouldn't care for an award coming from an organization I am a major part of anyway.

Would anyone be in favor of an awards program like this one? Just my idea to help out developing sites (other than hosting and general all-around niceness to the new guys).

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:07 pm

I agree. Also, I think the winner should be elected through polls. Like give links to the candidates site and then people choose on the poll. Then the votes are counted and then awards are given out.

BTW, what time period or whatever are we doing for these awards?

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

DX

Post by DX » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:19 pm

Polls in this case could have huge potential for abuse. Therefore I think that a voter must also post after casting a vote. Sorry, but I really wouldn't trust poll data when site awards are the stakes. As for the time period, earlier I suggested mid-December for annual awards, but since this is the first year we should get the 2004 awards out as soon as possible. And I agree that large popular sites should not be included, this should be limited to new or long running sites that are little known or just not anywhere near the top yet. B)
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:34 pm

When I said polls, I didn't mean site polls. Like those polls you can create on the internet. That way there can't be much in the way of cheating.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:13 am

Originally posted by nibordude@Feb 8 2005, 11:07 PM
I agree. Also, I think the winner should be elected through polls. Like give links to the candidates site and then people choose on the poll. Then the votes are counted and then awards are given out.

[snapback]22020[/snapback]

The official release date must have been between 1 January 2004 - 31 December 2004 for the new site award. As for the others, I'm not sure yet, but they'll almost certainly be for before the end of 2004.

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:53 pm

Would websites be at all limited to the number of categories they could win?
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:55 pm

Originally posted by Spinner+Feb 9 2005, 06:13 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spinner @ Feb 9 2005, 06:13 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-nibordude@Feb 8 2005, 11:07 PM
I agree.  Also, I think the winner should be elected through polls.  Like give links to the candidates site and then people choose on the poll.  Then the votes are counted and then awards are given out.

[snapback]22020[/snapback]

The official release date must have been between 1 January 2004 - 31 December 2004 for the new site award. As for the others, I'm not sure yet, but they'll almost certainly be for before the end of 2004.
[snapback]22041[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Our site released on January first, I think. :mellow: I'm guessing we're still in it right?

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:07 pm

Not for best new site of 2004, but perhaps best overall minor site. I'm not sure really. I think we should really stick to 2004-only. Your site will be getting a massive head start for the 2005 awards. I released my site in early 2004, I've had to wait a long time as well.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:12 pm

Delayed double post, I know.

Here are the categories to be competed for in the 2004 SSC Site Awards:
  • Best New Site of 2004
  • Best 2004 Site Updates
  • Best Graphics made in 2004
  • Best 2004 blaster reviews (both Super Soaker and Water Warriors)
  • Best New Concept in 2004
  • Best Tech Section Additions in 2004
  • Best Gallery created in 2004
  • Best Article Overall written in 2004
Topics will be made for each of the categories, then sites will be nominated in each of these categories by the membership. Comments about these categories may still be made in this thread.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:52 pm

Looks like a nice line up of awards. I forgot to mention that we might want to create some kind of image award for the winners to place somewhere on their site.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:12 am

^ That was the plan. I'll just have to catch Freakymist on AIM and we'll talk about it. Alternatively, I'll get the fonts used in the SSCentral logo from him and I'll make it.