Facebook groups and events

Discussion of other water gun websites.
SSCBen

Facebook groups and events

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:19 am

This thread is for posting interesting water war Facebook groups. I've noticed a few in the past few days from checking SSC's web logs. Some are pretty large. I'm thinking we could try to promote water wars on Facebook to reach more people.

Note: If you're not on Facebook you won't be able to see these groups.

UK Water Warfare Society

This is a pretty large group for people in the UK. They seem to have meet ups and wars every once and a while.

Is It Even Possible To Find A Decent Super Soaker These Days?

It's a group of people who've noticed that Super Soakers aren't as good as they used to be. I laughed when I found this one.

New York City's Largest Water Fight!

iSoaker posted about this a few days ago. They already have over 400 confirmed people going, which is crazy. I'd love to go but I work that day and I don't want to waste money on gas.

Aqua_Flash

Re: Facebook groups

Post by Aqua_Flash » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:58 am

The UK one looks damn good fun, just the way I like it, frantic soaking mayhem. I'm tempted to join it but the last time anything was said was late last year, if it is still active perhaps I should go down there, I've got the right soakers at least. I hope this group still have interest and will be continuing this year.

EDIT: Wait, there are some on this year after some scrolling down, although it seems that lots of the main people there haven't been very active.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:33 pm

To me it seems that they like late summer wars. I'd join and make a discussion forum topic to see if there's any interest in a war earlier than that. With over 200 members I'm sure that some people would be interested.

Aqua_Flash

Post by Aqua_Flash » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:51 pm

I might join and post something later after Thursday as all my exams will be done by then so I can focus these events.

Oh well, good thing is, there is still SummerSplash 2008, the UK's biggest waterfight held in London, with over 1500 confirmed people coming.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:14 pm

That's a pretty huge event! I'd love to go to some of these but none are close to where I live. When I move to College Park I should be able to attend every event around Washington DC because College Park is only a few miles from DC.

Here's an event with more than 70 confirmed people in New Jersey in a few days: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=15951287908

Edit: Here's more groups:

Englands Biggest Ever Water Fight (July 5) (nearly 10,000 members in this group)
Bournemouths biggest water fight 2008
Milton Keynes Biggest Water Fight!
Halifax College Water Fight (June 18)
WATER FIGHT 2K8 (June 20 - Brampton, ON)
Water Balloon Fight! (June 21 - Washington Township, NJ)
Charlotte, North Carolina Water War (June 28)
2008 Chicago Water Fight (July 5)
Chelmsfords biggest water fight 2008 (July 6)
Water Fight In Grove Park (July 12 - Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom)
Washington DC water war (July 25)
Austin Texas water war (July 14)
Birmingham Water Gun Assassins tournament

The UK seems to have significantly more groups than other areas. I'm also seriously considering going to the Washington DC war so if you want to meet me that would be a good place to.
Last edited by SSCBen on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Re: Facebook groups and events

Post by Silence » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:55 pm

Ben, could you quote the summary of the Washington, D.C. water war? Or at least get the location? Thanks. I don't have a Facebook account, as I see it potentially eating up all my time.

I may be up in Northern Virginia a couple times this summer, and I'll keep July 25th in mind. :cool:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:18 pm

They don't have any real specifics up yet. I think they're still planning it. I'm going to send a message to the guy behind it letting him know I'll help out with some specifics if he needs help. I assume they're going to choose a street in Washington DC or some place close by and start there.

Here's what is there:
Date: Friday, July 25, 2008
Time: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
City/Town: Washington, DC
You should get a Facebook account if you want to take a look at these. I myself hate the majority of what Facebook is and I try to avoid it when I can, but I had to have an account to do some things at college.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:57 am

My group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4242089423 Not much now, but still posting it.

There is also a war coming up between my team and another one, but I decided not to make a FB event for that, at least for the time being. There is a post about it at iSc though.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:59 pm

Would anyone like to see these events added to the calendar here? There's a calendar feature but it's not really used by anything. Getting these events on here would make it very useful.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:12 pm

As long as the calendar is easy to find, sure. At default zoom and with a 1024-pixel-wide screen, there's a nice space in the bottom left of the main page. Or perhaps there could be another page devoted to the calendar and events. That said, I really want to know what others think and how they'd use it, as I don't use Facebook so I would just get the dates and that's it.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:33 pm

I've added some events to the vBulletin calendar: http://forums.sscentral.org/calendar.php

I can add a mini-calendar on the home page too. It'll take some writing to do but I assume it won't be hard.

Most of the events are on the weekends. There are also many more events in the UK as I said, so if you live in the UK be sure to go to at least one of these. They all look really nice.

Edit: I added some more events. The ones I added had at least 10 confirmed attendees. I will scan again to add more to the calendar in a few days.

Note that anyone can post events to the calendar. If you want to post an event, don't hesitate.
Last edited by SSCBen on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:35 pm

I didn't know that many people planned water wars using Facebook! A calendar should be a good reminder for some people, though you have to have a Facebook account to see the details unfortunately.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:24 am

So does anyone plan on attending any of the wars listed on the calendar? Some of these are fairly large and that's good.

As I already said, I'm interested in attending the DC water war. I still need to contact the guys running it to get some more specifics, but once the specifics are out I'm sure it'll be successful.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:20 am

Thanks for keeping me posted about the DC one. It's marked on my calendar just in case I can make it. As I said I'll be heading up to NoVa anyway, but I'm not sure when.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:22 pm

I'm still waiting for specifics on the DC one. Though it does seem like a lot of people are interested (over 100 say they're going).
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.