Extrawater Forums

Discussion of other water gun websites.
CROC

Extrawater Forums

Post by CROC » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:32 am

The Extrawater forums, made by mr. dude and I are officially now online! You can discuss just about anything that is water warfare related.

Our site is under construction, but hope to have it up some time this summer.

The site is: Extrawater.

Just follow the forum link and register an account. If you are a moderator or admin at either here, water warfare forums or iSoaker, private message me or mr. dude and we will validate your claim.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

SSCBen

Re: Extrawater Forums

Post by SSCBen » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:00 am

Right now the soaker world is a little slow, so you might want to repost this later.

I'm a little busy right now, but I'll join tomorrow. The key to starting a forum is to keep posting. The board needs something to talk about, and then people will talk. That's pretty much how we started and it's also how we kept SSC hopping in January. If I wanted to say anything, I said it. Now I have less free time to post, but we're still not doing bad.

Also, your link at iSoaker.com is broken. You might want to fix that. ;)

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:33 am

Yep, my thoughts are similar to Ben's. Basically: when the soaking season rolls around (for the Northern Hemisphere), make sure you start posting content regularly and keep things active. :cool:

Good luck! It's nice to see you guys have decided to continue with the site.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:46 am

Just so you guys know, there will be many more articles than there are now. Also, many will be updated. Basically as soon as temperature goes above 0 degrees Celcius, I'll start taking stats.

CROC

Post by CROC » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:47 pm

@Ben: I just checked the link, and it works. It goes to http://extrawater.sscentral.org.
-Croc

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:26 pm

iSoaker noticed and fixed the link I think.

CROC

Post by CROC » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:38 pm

I just copied and pasted the messages, so if there were a problem, it would be universal on the forums.
-Croc

CROC

Post by CROC » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:53 am

Sorry for the late update, but here we go!:
We have a new format for our reviews, so we will be converting them all to the new format soon (hopefully). We should have the site running by July at the latest.
Here is a link to the format of review. What do you think? There is a topic over on our forums, but it does not really matter where you post it.
New Review Template (WW Yellow Jacket used)
-Croc

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:30 pm

That looks like a decent template. However, I would suggest using <strong> and <h_> in the actual review for things like pro and con.

Also, you may not want to set a deadline...such things just don't work for me. I find it easier to say, "I'll spend _ days on item x" and add tasks one at a time. Granted, there is a bit of urgency to get things done by the soaking season. :cool:

CROC

Post by CROC » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:15 pm

I agree there is urgency to start the site before soaker season.

Thanks for the suggestion Silence! I will add that to the template promptly.
Should I add in a cell spacing or padding, to space out the extra images?
(BTW, the info is much better in the new & improved version of the Yellow Jacket review.)
-Croc

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:20 am

Padding might work, although you could also try to make the borders of the table transparent. I'm not sure how that's best done.

I don't really do HTML, but I would recommend using CSS if you're interested in tweaking the appearance of your web pages :cool: . O'Reilly's Head First series includes a good book on XHTML and CSS, although it's a bit expensive (as are most tech books).

CROC

Post by CROC » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:51 pm

That's the "border" tag in the <table> bracket.

Anyhow, I have both dreamweaver CS3 and a great website for css and html/xml documents.
-Croc

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:41 am

I would suggest learning HTML rather than relying on programs like Dreamweaver. I've used Dreamweaver before, but it was more an impediment to me than an aid. I'm sure people use it successfully, but once you learn the code there's no real reason to use a WYSIWYG editor. I did start with a copy of Adobe Pagemill when I first got into websites, but I only ever used it for one substantial website and after that I just programmed straight code. You will appreciated that a lot because it saves you money and you can do a lot more things with it. ;)

CROC

Post by CROC » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:28 am

I know the code, I have done HTML completely within a text document, however Dreamweaver is just (for me) much faster, as I don't really have to worry about closing tags, forgetting to leave one open, and completely messing up what I thought it should look like. Anyhow, the site is coming along well.

Does anybody know how to make Javascript write xml documents, or how to add style sheets to xml?
-Croc

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:49 am

Something like the following should work, to answer your second question.

Code: Select all

<link href="path/path/stylesheet.css" 
rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
I don't know what you mean by "making Javascript write xml documents." You can certainly embed Javascript in documents, although it's generally not encouraged. JS isn't very accessible and its primary use is in AJAX for interaction between the user and the server.