Parsing - why am I seeing "Arc" everywhere?

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
Silence

Parsing - why am I seeing "Arc" everywhere?

Post by Silence » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:50 pm

Recently (say, for two weeks) I've been seeing missing words like pArcticipate, Arcticle, etc. all over the forums. Is there some new word filter or something that converts "ar" to "Arc"?

Just curious...I know this won't get a response until Ben's done hiking (unless another admin knows), but I just wanted to get my question out there.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:25 pm

Hmm, lots of weird filters here. After some messing around with the post preview, I think it was put in as an attempt to stop the mispellings of Arctic Shock. (hence the capitalization)

Overall, the filters here are pretty annoying. There are tons of instances when "l.ol" (w/o that dot) sounds much better than "haha" or "Hey, that's funny!", but now, he's trying to use filters to deter mispellings? (and let that create more, heheh) Weird...

The filter converts "art.ic" (w/o the period) to "Arctic".

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:44 pm

It doesn't let you say noo.b or new.bie either (without periods :cool :) and changes them to noob and newbie
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:03 pm

Most of the filters make sense. I'm under the impression people used "l o l" quite often early on here...knowing that it would be converted to something else probably deterred that. "l o l" is just plain unprofessional and ugly.

Same deal with "d o n t" (with no apostrophe), "( s p ? )", etc. Makes the forums look better.

Thanks for clearing that up, though...guess the "a r t i c" will have to be fixed. This isn't too big a deal though, I should think...just requires adding a space before and after the text in the string to be filtered out.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:43 am

I haven't had any issues with the filter in recent times - it gets rid of words that aren't needed in posts. Only time it really got on my nerves was when it was brand new and filtered out "Duxburian". That and certain link text gets broken.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:35 pm

The problem should be solved. I hadn't realized how many words start with a rtic until after I added the filter.

Here's a few tests:

Artic Shock (typed in wrong)
Participate