CPS2000 cracked pump tube

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
JamesDandy

CPS2000 cracked pump tube

Post by JamesDandy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:02 pm

Hi all:
I just tried my 2000 for the first time this year, and no pressure. After disassembly I found the pump tube has multiple cracks. This is the thin-walled tube that the pump rod slides in and builds up pressure.

I am trying to locate a replacement tube to glue in, any help?
Also, do I just use epoxy or pvc cement?
Silicone?

Thank you everyone,
JamesDandy

cantab

Re: CPS2000 cracked pump tube

Post by cantab » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:12 pm

You could try simply patching it with epoxy. From what I've heard regular is best for small cracks, while epoxy putty will fill larger gaps.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:23 pm

Putty is difficult to fill small cracks due to it's lack of viscosity. You'll have to be careful with shaping it. However, the same lack of viscosity also allows more flexibility for it to dry, meaning it doesn't have to be positioned strictly to prevent it from flowing around. It can be described as play-doh that turns into stone, while epoxy is like regular glue but much stronger. Of course, both solidify into similar material and both need mixing.

JamesDandy

Post by JamesDandy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:52 am

Well, unfortunately the cracks are multiple and long, hence I will have to replace pipe.

I was just wondering if anyone knew where to get 8" of 3/4 OD 5/8 ID pipe, I will try the local Home Depot and Lowes tomorrow I guess.

Thanks,
JimDandy

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:19 am

Agreed, large cracks may interfere with the pump seal, so glue alone won't work.

In small sizes, PVC is actually larger than labeled, and 1/2" PVC has an inner diameter of about 5/8" – close enough for an appropriate O-ring to fit in. The outer diameter lies closer to 7/8", last I checked.

Epoxy should be fine. I've heard of some people using epoxy to glue together PVC pipe and fittings...that's not a good idea because PVC solvent welding agent is better suited for the task. But I know epoxy works on both materials, and at the pressures you'll face (25 PSI), there shouldn't be any problems.

Good luck, and keep us posted! :)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:48 am

Lowes and Home Depot aren't likely to have tubes at sizes that precise.

If you live in the US McMaster-Carr is a good place to look. Part number 9245K29 seems adequate (though rather long). If you don't like that try a search for plastic tubing and narrow down the choices to what you like.