Well, here goes...

General water gun discussion.
Lisbonburning

Well, here goes...

Post by Lisbonburning » Tue May 18, 2010 3:37 am

So, looks like im the newest member of the ssker community. Im looking to learn how to construct powerful, easy, and cheap diy guns. Im gonna need all the help i can get from you guys. Im pretty jacked

martianshark

Re: Well, here goes...

Post by martianshark » Tue May 18, 2010 4:36 am

Welcome to Super Soaker Central. What's diy? For a good and cheap water gun, try my PRH. It takes a while to fill and pressurize, though. Roland Tower's Ultimate Water gun is also a good choice. If you're willing to spend about $40, the APH is a really good choice.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:33 am

diy = DIY = common abbreviation for Do It Yourself.

Anyways, welcome to SSC. I should give a quick intro to the numerous options of water guns and water warfare before directing to homemades.

If you're looking for water guns that are useful for water wars and want to build a small armory first, homemades will be quite difficult since the basic designs do not cover ergonomics, triggers, etc. Instead, you'll want to find some CPS/Monster line blasters which can be found on eBay, Craigslist, from friends, garage sales, etc. They aren't available in stores. There are a few blasters available in stores however, that are still good for water wars such as the Vindicator or Iron Man/Flash Flood (FF preferred if you can find it) blasters. If you're interested in going this way, just ask.

Now, to homemades which is what you actually asked for. The APH and CPH (air and constant pressure homemade, respectively) are the most popular and best beginner options to go with. The traditional CPH requires ordering online to get latex rubber tubes used for the pressure chamber but you can also use 12" (or any size close to that) helium balloons layered upon each other (with necks trimmed to do this) which is a cheaper option but more difficult to build a case for. (You need a case to keep the pressure chamber aka PC from wiggling around and getting scratched.) On the other hand, the APH also gets good performance and it's power level can be changed almost "on the fly."

I'd suggest reading up on the introduction articles around SSC (hopefully the site's working when you do) to get familiar with the basics. If you want a decent water blaster to start off with, it'll cost quite some money especially if you don't have the tools necessary to build them.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Tue May 18, 2010 10:01 pm

Welcome to ssc!
And it also depends on what your definition of cheap is. Most homemades cost anywhere from $35 to 65, depending on what kind you want to build. I would start out by gathering at least one or two CPS class weapons, and then building the homemade. But if you want to jump into it, here is the guide to building the basic homemade.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Wed May 19, 2010 12:49 am

Actually, my PRH only cost about $10-15.