Street Wars NYC

General water gun discussion.
X_Ego

Street Wars NYC

Post by X_Ego » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:22 pm

Hey guys, tried looking for a Search button but couldn't find one, so sorry if this is a repost. So Street Wars is coming back to NYC this year. I'm psyched since I missed the last one in 06 and I've been waiting since then to get in on a game. If you don't know what it is, check http://www.streetwars.net.

Anyway, I'm in need of 3 guns. One to conceal on myself, small, pocket-sized. One larger one for stalking with good range. And another huger one for drive-bys (having a car in NYC is so advantageous), which would have to reach a good 30 feet or so from the street onto the sidewalk.

Help me out here with your suggestions. I also would not mind making my own for any of these, but it would have to be a simple design.

cantab

Re: Street Wars NYC

Post by cantab » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:50 pm

For concealability, consider either a WW Stingray, or if they're allowed (I think, sadly, they're not) a rubber band gun. If they're still too big then you'll probably have to use a squirt gun.

For your mid-sized gun, the Arctic Blast is quite good. Obviously the flood nozzle isn't needed for you. There are probably older guns that would be better though.

For the big gun, from the current crop the Orca is the best. But if you can afford the prices on ebay, CPS almost any number are good. They'll all make 30 feet easily (as will many air-pressure guns). The 2000 is the most powerful but might not be best suited for your purposes.
The SC Powerpak springs to mind as a good drive-by gun too. The CPSes are rather large and unwieldy, if you're the actual driver they might be difficult to use. The Powerpak has a backpack pressure chamber (which you could probably put on the floor of the car or on your lap) and a small, lightweight blaster portion. It does need to be filled from a hose though.

Alternatively, the job of medium and large weapon could be happily filled by an air pressure homemade. 50 feet should be easily achieved. Normally they end up being 2-handed weapons due to the valves used, which might be an issue for driving. The rules might also prohibit homemades.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:22 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central! There's a forums search bar in the forums sub-header - close to the "personal messages" link. I'll upload a screenshot if you can't find it...it does take some searching though. We should probably change it to be red. ;)

If you're looking for a water gun from a store, cantab has good suggestions. For a water pistol, buy anything from Buzz Bee Toys/Water Warriors, like the Stingray. Your other two needs can probably be solved by one soaker. The Hasbro/Super Soaker Arctic Blast is probably too chunky to be concealable. The BBT/WW Tiger Shark or Orca should work - but make sure the Tiger Shark's grip is large enough.

A pumper - in which you pump each time you want to shoot - would be compact while getting decent range. It's probably not very practical though, as aiming is difficult while pumping, and you can't fire long shots.

A homemade water gun should work if you're interested in that sort of thing. A while ago somebody doing StreetWars considered a tube going through a shirt sleeve (long sleeves in summer, I guess) with a larger device well-concealed within clothing.

I doubt the rules prohibit homemade water guns - StreetWars probably doesn't know about them. Napster wasn't illegal until people started using it. And honestly, there's nothing wrong with homemade water guns - most are comparable to CPS soakers.

X_Ego

Post by X_Ego » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:51 pm

Yeah actually there's a video of that guy's (maybe) "weapon". It looked awesome, it was a tube filled with water, and one end came out of his shirt sleeve and the other was a bulb like a turkey baster that sat in the palm of his other. If that's allowed, then I don't see why any other home made device wouldn't be.

Is the Stingray small enough to carry all the time? And what about the Tarantula? That got good reviews on some websites.

And thanks, NOW I see the search button. Duh.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:13 pm

The Tarantula isn't really concealable. It's a small "rifle" style water gun, but it's definitely no water pistol.

The Stingray should be small enough if you have a pocket. A large jacket pocket would be best, but that's impractical in the summer. At any rate, you'll want to line the inside of the pocket with a plastic bag. The Stingray isn't especially leaky, but you might get wet from the water on it after filling.

Edit: Maybe we should remove the search button, if it gets more registrations :) . Anyway, I hope you get what you're looking for. Several stores carry Water Warriors soakers.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:50 pm

The suggestions for water guns are good and I can't say anything different.

If you can't find water guns in stores because of stocking issues I'd suggest looking online, especially at Amazon.com. They usually have every water gun in the Super Soaker and Water Warriors line in stock.

X_Ego

Post by X_Ego » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:38 pm

This is great info. Thanks for the help guys.

X_Ego

Post by X_Ego » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:58 pm

Hey guys, so the game is on and I'm a nervous wreck, as I should be what with being hunted and all. I went with the Tiger Shark and the Orca. The Orca is insane, it shoots so far. My question is: Is it OK to leave these things pumped and pressurized?

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:32 am

Not sure I'd recommend leaving those ones pressurized for more than a few hours at a time. Being based on a rubber diaphragm system, leaving pressurized may stretch the pressure chamber and reduce overall power. If its any consolation, they do pump up rather quickly. Air-pressure-based blasters are likely a little more stable if left pressurized, though piston-based soakers can be left with water in the piston and removes the worry about stressing out parts of the soaker.

Have fun and let us know how you do!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::