Illustrator needed

General water gun discussion.
SSCBen

Illustrator needed

Post by SSCBen » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:24 pm

I am writing the updated version of the Streams article, titled "Water nozzle and stream physics". To give people a better understanding of stream physics, I will need some illustrations made. These are not for a competition so the pictures do not need to be pretty, and I would prefer that they were not pretty. I'm not looking for crappy paint drawings either, just something that gets the point across. I would prefer illustrations similar to the ones in patents.

No award will be offered, though I can upgrade your account here if you would like. We currently do not have enough space to give out hosting either. I suppose all you'll get is the satisfaction that you helped make a great article, and your name on the article.

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:59 am

Ben wrote:I'm not looking for crappy paint drawings either
Well, that pretty much counts me out. ;)
Unfortunatly crappy paint drawings are about all I can do. I have GIMP, but I havn't really taken the time to learn to use it. I would be glad to help you, but someone else could do a much better job.

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:03 pm

I can do labeled diagrams using Photoshop CS. And since I seem to be one of the only ones here anymore, I'm open.
I don't check this forum anymore.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:32 pm

Looking through the images I have online, here's a good example of what would be nice:

I definetly won't need anything that nice or fancy (or even complicated), so if everyone interested could make a basic drawing of the nozzle below as an example, I would appreciate it. This image I'll probably use in the article. Just draw the inside of the nozzle so that it appears flat against the monitor (hint: the nozzle is hollow).

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:16 pm

This is a bit outdated, but I can do quite nice computer imagery. I don't do it expertly, and I might be able to help.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:33 pm

Ben wrote:Looking through the images I have online, here's a good example of what would be nice:

if everyone interested could make a basic drawing of the nozzle below as an example, I would appreciate it. This image I'll probably use in the article. Just draw the inside of the nozzle so that it appears flat against the monitor (hint: the nozzle is hollow).

Let me know if anything of that would be useful to you. Here is what I came up with:

3 Dimensional =Image

2 dimensional =Image
Last edited by ZOCCOZ on Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:58 pm

joannaardway: Post an example of your work so I can compare it against others. ;)

ZOCCOZ: The 3D image looks great, much like what I would like to see. My only issue is the size of the end part of the nozzle, which is far too large. The 2D image isn't much at all like what I would like to see for that angle (the first image I posted is more like what I would like, only simpler because that image obviously is fairly complicated.

Perhaps you also could make some images like these with a water stream in them? That would look neat.

m15399

Post by m15399 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:51 am

Well, I wasn't exactly sure what you wanted us to draw, but here's a recreation of the nozzle.

It sucks, I know. I just figured I'd post it since I'd gone through the trouble of making it.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:10 am

Ben wrote:
ZOCCOZ: The 3D image looks great, much like what I would like to see. My only issue is the size of the end part of the nozzle, which is far too large. The 2D image isn't much at all like what I would like to see for that angle (the first image I posted is more like what I would like, only simpler because that image obviously is fairly complicated.

Perhaps you also could make some images like these with a water stream in them? That would look neat.

Waterstream version:
Another 2D version with stream:

Another concept instead of a flat cut open version would be a 3d transparent version:

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:02 am

Well against that I'm useless. I can manage very clear 2-D images, because of experience, but I haven't needed to make a 3-D image in years, so I'm out of practise and I'll be rather slow compared to others.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:14 am

m15399: That looks pretty good actually. The nozzle is a little too light, which is in fact my only major problem with that image.

ZOCCOZ: Those are all almost exactly what I would like to see from a 3D image! The second image I believe might be a little more clear if the bumpy parts from where the nozzle would thread on were absent from the 2D view, but that still makes what is happening obvious, which is all I wanted. I also like the transparent one a lot. The transparent one looks like it would explain the concept much better.

joannaardway: I don't think you should call yourself useless. I really was only looking for a simple black and white 2D drawing really, and if you can make something like that I would like to see it. The 3D views really seem to be dominated by ZOCCOZ, so a simple diagram view would suffice for the 2D one.

I really am useless myself when it comes to making images. Look at my image from the old TechLog post on the "reducing nozzle design" (what I referred to conical nozzles as then):

Anything better than that is appreciated, and that's asking for nothing! ;)

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:01 pm

Ok, here's a quick image that I put together earlier. It's an external image. I was a bit short on time, I'll put the cut-away together tommorrow.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:50 am

Looks good. Simple and straightforward, which is exactly what I wanted in a 2D image. The cutaway should be just as good.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:03 am

And here are the cutaways, without and with stream. I can add some effects to the water stream to make it a little more visually interesting, but this takes more work and obscures some of the details.

I believe this is what you wanted. If not, then I can try again. I've still got the root file.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:12 pm

Yep. That's precisely what I wanted from a side-view image. Good contrast and everything. It's easy to see what's going on.

Thanks for the hard work everyone! When I need some more images, I'll let everyone know. I think the next one I'll need is a simple PVC endcap nozzle. I want to show that the water is eased through a conical nozzle by showing that water is not eased through an endcap nozzle. Essentially, this image should show your typical endcap nozzle with the eddys in the current. That pretty much means that eddies will be shown above and below the orifice in the nozzle because the water there is not effectively being put through the nozzle.

Sorry if my description is a little hard to understand, but those who are familiar with what I described shouldn't have a problem. Let me know if you want a better explanation or am confused about anything. m15399's water gun website has a good image of a nozzle with the endcap removed if you are unfamiliar with what I am talking about. Just remember that the nozzle will be threaded on. ;)

Edit: As I am reading my article outline, I see that I would like a labled nozzle. Because you made the 2D nozzle image joannaardway, could you make a little more detailed one of the same nozzle? I'll just need it to label the following:

- nozzle orifice
- internal diameter
- linear guidance walls (i.e. straws or "straighteners")
- the conical part
Last edited by SSCBen on Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.