Dream Soakers

General water gun discussion.
isoaker_com

Dream Soakers

Post by isoaker_com » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:50 pm

If you could, what would YOU like to see in future generations of stock water blasters? For sake of argument, let's leave out increased range/distance and power/output desires since those two seem fairly universal. :p Sure, it's a topic that's been discussed before, but perhaps some have new ideas on it.

That said, what sort of things would you want to see improved upon in the stock blaster realm? Bigger reservoirs? More nozzle choices? Better colours? More easily modified?

Think, dream, share your thoughts with us!

Soak on!

:cool:
Last edited by isoaker_com on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

cantab

Re: Dream Soakers

Post by cantab » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:41 pm

Another GOOD motorised gun. From what I've heard the Scorpion was quite good. Another like that, ideally a little better.

A backpack gun with a meaningful sized backpack, ideally 8 litres.

Not bigger reservoirs, but bigger _pressure chambers_ is usually good.

For cosmetics, how about interchangeable covers? You have a relatively plain base, and can then clip on say 'Camouflage', 'Neon Bright' or 'Urban Black' covers. Might fall foul of the US laws mind :-(

A remote controlled water tank. (As in the tracked war vehicle sort).

Full time riot blasts, like the Flash Flood and AB, are good - gives a big punch in a small gun.

Super Soaker to stop using valve mechanisms that break. Water Warriors to consider a different sort of plastic for the gun bodies, more like current Super Soakers.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:03 am

Slow stream speed, high output, low PC volume, and high reservoir volume. I want to see more water flying, but less of it striking, because that just deters people from getting within range.

Riot blasts are a good complement in that sense.

Cantab, what's wrong with the plastic on current Water Warriors?

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:35 pm

- No more lousy valves that break easily and limit output. (which would also include internals on WW's)

- Universal backpack and filling valve system - no more caps, period. Valves only. (caps take ages to unthread and re-cap, and sometimes they don't thread on correctly) Max-I came the closest to this but none of the packs could hold much water.

- LPD type design, perhaps more compact than Ben's, or with customizable size. Air pressure has a lot of potential here.

- Other swap-ables such as PC's nozzle sets, reservoirs, etc. Not terribly important, but it'd be interesting to customize water guns a bit.

- Battle-friendly color schemes.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:47 pm

Silence wrote:Cantab, what's wrong with the plastic on current Water Warriors?
Nothing's wrong with it exactly. I just think Super Soakers feel a bit better - slightly textured, makes it grippier as well.
C-A_99 wrote:Universal backpack and filling valve system - no more caps, period. Valves only. (caps take ages to unthread and re-cap, and sometimes they don't thread on correctly) Max-I came the closest to this but none of the packs could hold much water.
I've never seen anything wrong with caps. I've found attempting to use the quickfill on Super Soakers is more awkward on many taps and can get me wet. That said, I never refill in battles, only between.

Caps are generally robust (unless you lose them, but that doesn't happen to tethered caps). I think valves could just create another point of failure.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:51 am

Simple, properly done valves should work fine. As for caps, even when tethered, a select few certain kind of individuals still somehow find a way to lose them. It hasn't happened with the type of tether that doesn't slip out, but its happened with a WW Piranha (though they gave me a free one) and is possible with the 2100, MaxD 5k, etc. (the tethers than you can slip out manually) Lastly, I've seen some tethers' plastic whiten up. Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but it seems like they can still break. (though someone who's dumb enough to hold a blaster by the cap while its open will probably also find a way to break a fill valve)

The SS's fast fill valves worked well for many filling systems, such as bottles and hoses, but for others, like hose handle nozzles, or indoor sinks/faucets, they don't work at all, which is why I suggested a valve based sort of system. Perhaps a rubber seal could be springed up against an opening, which water would push open while filling, but it could also serve as an air inlet to prevent deflating the reservoir.

Now to the caps themselves, I've found that filling would be much easier if they snapped on. (though that also means they wouldn't seal well) Running while holding a bottle up to the reservoir and having to unthread both is fairly tricky, but when replacing the cap in a hurry, it often goes on incorrectly.

I suppose the cheaper, slightly more reliable alternative to a valve would be a twist and turn sort of cap with seals around it.

It seems like few games can run without refilling in the middle of a fight, namely 1HK elimination with a few players. For long term objective games and especially soakfests, filling between is essential.

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:08 pm

I guess pretty much all I play is 1HK elimination with few players...
Arsenal: