WaterWar.net domain name

Discussion of other water gun websites.
SSCBen

WaterWar.net domain name

Post by SSCBen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:45 pm

Some people here might remember WaterWar.net, a forum run by iSoaker.com a few years ago. Out of my own curiosity I inquired about the price of that domain name because it had been picked up by squatters. I got my answer.
Ben,

The owner of this domain has listed the sales price for this domain at $4000 USD, but is willing to entertain a reasonable offer.

To make an offer, reply to this email with the offer you would like me to present to the owner of the domain.

Take Care,

Blake | AcquireThisName.com
blake@acquirethisname.com
I don't know if I should feel sorry for how stupid the owner is because no one will ever pay $4000 USD for this domain name. Maybe $50, but $4000? Absurd.

cantab

Re: WaterWar.net domain name

Post by cantab » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:58 pm

It might be an accounting thing. On their books they have the 'value' of domain names listed as assets. Inflating the value makes their assets look bigger. It's very difficult to put a value on a domain name. If there was an existing company called WaterWar, they may well be willing to pay 4 grand.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:04 pm

Accounting sounds like a reasonable explanation for the price, but if they expect anyone to pay that's another story.

I thought about existing organizations for a bit, but no organization as far as I can tell exists that might be interested. There are some websites like Water Wars Worldwide, which is about wars over water.

I did tell the owner that if they decline my offer, don't expect any further offers with a price like that, so maybe they'll listen. Not that I have a use for the domain name. I was just interested. :p

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:21 pm

Huh, interesting price. Anybody paying that only encourages domain squatting. Of course, the owner likely knew nothing about WWn.

How long has WWn been out? I'm guessing 4 years, which makes the price of owning it about $40, unless the owner is a registrar who can cut out the middleman.