Pure Gum Rubber Tubing

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:30 pm

I had long thought that my current (homemade) CPS system would need loads of work to get a chamber in the "super-thick" category. Those who remember "the Beast" as I called it probably label it as a test. it was mostly a test, but now I'm serious. The design was strong, with exception to the internal diameter, but then again, it's still larger than the nozzle size.

The chamber had exploded. In a war it popped, really loud and low but it happened. I had bragged about it's greater than half-inch wall thickness, which is great, but now I see what is better. I hit the limit with LRT, the sizes needed to get larger for my purposes.

Before I had thought I could get a thicker chamber with a second layer of LRT and loads of bike tubes. Now I see the light... or just another type of rubber tubing. PGRT (Pure Gum Rubber Tubing) is right below LRT at the McMaster site, and I never honestly considered it until I took a closer look; and saw that it was available in internal diameters up to three inches...

Amazingly, with the rubber tubing at McMaster I was able to do the math to make a chamber (with only 4 pieces of RT), that is 1 1/16 inches thick, without complicated rubber pulling (due to space between the tubing). That would be amazing and easy to create, and I am looking to do it now that I've got some cash to spend.

I am looking into buying this tubing ASAP, repairing my CPS homemade to a fuctional status (besides the PC) and then creating this concept. Shouldn't be a concept much longer...

USSA

Post by USSA » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:11 am

Not to be a bubble buster but that stuff is not pressure rated. Besides the thickest of the walls were only a half inch. The latex tubing is a quarter and you can just layer it. In fact the Nartual rubber tubing states that it is "not as resilient, soft, or smooth as latex rubber tubing". In addition to this I'd like to point out that the folks at Larami and Waterworm probably tried out just about every different natural and synthetic rubber and would up choosing the latex.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:36 am

I've tried this stuff. It just slits, snaps, pops, whatever it can do to break itself. I agree with USSA. I guess you could try it anyways. I didn't get mine from MC master.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net
--------------------------------------------------------------

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:24 pm

Besides the thickest of the walls were only a half inch.
I don't think you get what I'm saying. I'm using a few layers of LRT on the inside and the PGRT layers on the outside.

I am now worrying about the resiliancy of it, now I don't think I'll buy it if it works like I'm thinking. It might stretch and then stay that large, not what we're wanting.

Also, I've contacted Kent Elastomer about LRT. Still waiting for a response, they brag about being the "world's largest manufacturer of precision-engineered dipped natural rubber latex tubing."