Homemade

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sat May 22, 2004 4:29 pm

Well, I thought my homemade would be awesome, but it isn't. On a 2mm nozzle it barely shoots 25 feet. Great shot time, but on anything bigger, it has horrible range. Not what you would expect from such a huge behemoth that it is with CPS technology. I'm determened not to give up. I'm already drawing designs for my nex try. I'm taking my shots with air pressure. I was just wondering how to increase the PSI or make the gun more powerful, wile still sticking with a human powered pump.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat May 22, 2004 5:08 pm

You're old homemade likely needs a thicker PC. Try collosusing it or buying another piece of CPS tubing where the ID is slightly larger than the OD of your current PC and sliding that over it.

You can increase the pressure by pumping it more. Or you could add a tire chuck thing and use a compressor or a bike pump to add more pressure. Eventually, the PCs will be so full of water there will be no space for air (on separate PC systems). The pressure created by the air probably wouldn't let me get close to that though. Even on pressurized reservoir guns, more pumps means more pressure because you are pumping more air into the PC.

Don't exceed 3/4 of the pressure ratings of your PVC btw, I think a spud guns site said that, it's for safety. ;)

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sat May 22, 2004 5:43 pm

I ended up using innertubing instead of Latex tubing. I guess I'll add some more layers. I really need to get some pics of this, its not at all a traditional weapon. even for a homemade.

EDIT: By the way, PVC can hold 200 PSI. 3/4 of that is 150 PSI. I Don't think I will be reaching that. I just want some tips on how to make a air pressure gun very good.
BlueSoak.net

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat May 22, 2004 7:21 pm

I designed my newest one in the store. Make it have a good sized PC, large ID at the parts where the water will be flowing fast (I used 3/4" ID PVC), and small ID for the pumps and the check valves (I used 1/2" ID PVC). The small ID stuff is so the pump is easy to work with and the check valves are cheaper. The large is for more output, that's why it's only on the parts that the water will be flowing quickly through. You'll need a coupler and another thing to get the 1/2" PVC to attach to the 3/4" PVC, nothing too hard to do. Study my pictures, you can probably make one just like it from the pics.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sat May 22, 2004 8:54 pm

im not stupid. I used all that XPBackfire-esque on my last homemade. And I'm designing this one off yours. The only info I needed was where to put the other check valve. thanks for all that stuff though, should help :)
BlueSoak.net