I'm new and want to create a weapon of mass soakage.

General water gun discussion.
feltrockni

I'm new and want to create a weapon of mass soakage.

Post by feltrockni » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:14 am

I'm new to the forum and am trying to find my old monster xl. It may not work, so I was thinking of ripping it apart and turning it into something feared by my foes and envied by the fire department. My first thought is to add an autopump from one of the new super-soakers and second to add a backpack for additional water. I haven't used any of the new ones so I have no idea how good the electric pumps are or how good the battery life is. Also I used to play paintball (stopped playing due to price tag) and am a firm believer in the "Walk slowly across the field with a fully automatic weapon annihilating everything in your path" method of battle.
I mostly want to use the monster carcass because it's a beautiful toy and the single coolest thing I ever bought as a kid.
If not for that I may hook an electric pump to a 30 gallon backpack and have the nozzles shoot over my shoulders. (Ah the titanic image that puts in my head... :cool: )

Edit: on another note, if I don't find the gun, can someone direct me to a website where there are pictures of the parts (internal and external) of a monster xl so I can build one from scratch? I have decent machining skills and I would love to try. Though if I build one it will look more like a hot rod/ plasma cannon than a soaker (I'm thinking background lighting and steampunk aluminum...).

Edit 2: I also have one of the soaker that is pictured in the top of the forum. Anyone know how to debug that one? I haven't ripped it apart yet and want to get some insight before I start. Does anyone even know what it's called? It's been left outside for years and has no tag.

Edit 3: Hey! I found a page with pictures of the internals! Not as precise as I need, but it's a start.
http://www.isoaker.com/Armoury/Tech/int ... terxl.html
Last edited by feltrockni on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Re: I'm new and want to create a weapon of mass soakage.

Post by cantab » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:39 am

I think the electric pumps in the smaller commercial soakers may lack either the pressure to pressurise the MXL, or the flow rate to do it tolerably fast. You'll probably want a more powerful motor and pump. If you do find the MXL and it is still in working order, it has a Quick-Fill attachment, looks like a third nozzle below the two selectors. Attach a hose to that and you can add a powered pump drawing from an external reservoir without needing to cut up the blaster. (In full working order an MXL can be worth upwards of $100, so you probably don't want to hack it up unless you have to.)

That method of battle is less effective in water warfare, since foes can more easily stay out of range until you run out of ammo. And a 30 gallon backpack would be absurdly heavy.

The basic principles behind the MXL are relatively simple, and are the same as all other "CPS" blasters. Many people have built CPS homemades with more power.

And the blaster depicted in the SSCentral logo is a CPS 1500.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

feltrockni

Post by feltrockni » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Actually the monster I have does have the quick fill. Also I would never sell my monster unless I had to just for sentimental reasons more than anything else. Still haven't found it yet though, so fingers crossed that I do.

Edit: and I know a 30 gallon backpack would be heavy as hell, but a guy can dream.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:57 am

30 gallons is about 250.5 lbs....yea not gonna happen without a wheelbarrow.

But the auto pump is doable. You would need a decent bilge pump, and it would get kinda heavy. The thing I worry about is the electronics and mechanics being in such close proximity to water.

By the way, the new soakers are the equivalent of squirtguns that are repeating. Not much to pump.

And also, if you ever did make a soaker out of metal, that would be totally badass. :D
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:33 pm

unless it rusted
Pessimist: These blasters hold no water
Optimist: But their small output means they last just as long
Marketing: Huge blasts of water!
user: I shot it at an angle and it went a whole ten feet!

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:44 pm

Well copper, aluminium, and stainless steel all won't rust.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:52 pm

But if you have access to plastic, PVC just seems easier to me. It is easier to cut, lighter, and isn't that much weaker.
Pessimist: These blasters hold no water
Optimist: But their small output means they last just as long
Marketing: Huge blasts of water!
user: I shot it at an angle and it went a whole ten feet!

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:09 pm

And cheaper. A hell of a lot cheaper.
Quack damn you.

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:36 am

zeda.beta wrote:And cheaper. A hell of a lot cheaper.
Not in England :P

EDIT: Has anyone made a homemade with multiple CPS chambers like the Power Pak or MXL?
I'm a dude

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:56 pm

The problem with making a multiple chamber CPS is the water distribution. When I layed out some plans I couldn't get the first chamber to stop filling without a manual switch. If you can figure that out, you're golden.
Quack damn you.

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:04 pm

I wonder if there are any shots of the internals of a Power Pak...
I'm a dude

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:22 pm

The pressure inside a CPS chamber isn't exactly constant. So two chambers, linked to a single pressure source, will fill about evenly if they're about identical. (EDIT: The previous may be wrong!)

Additionally, a rigid outer PC casing will limit the expansion of the chambers, thereby ensuring that with multiple chambers all are fully expanded at maximum pressure. This may be better for spherical chambers, I'd be worried about stresses at the ends of cylindrical chambers with the rubber being forced against the end bung.
Last edited by cantab on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arsenal:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:32 pm

With any pressure chamber made from rubber I always have an irrational fear of it exploding. Might just be me, but it seems like it always could.

@Cantab: Really? That's interesting, because when I tried it the first one always would fill way before the second one could. And it ruptured as a consequence. That might have been the design though. I'll try to find it to show you.
Quack damn you.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:59 pm

Oh. Well, experiment trumps theory.

Now that I think about it, I recall something that in air-filled balloons, pressure is initially high before dropping and then rising again. Inflate a balloon, connect it to another uninflated balloon, and a stable state is with one balloon small and the other large. So maybe I got it wrong.

The Power Pak probably gets around it thanks to the non-uniform nature of CPS sensu stricto chambers.
Arsenal:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:56 pm

I actually didnt have rigid PC chambers. Oops. So as the PC expanded, it had nothing to limit it, and so expanded until it burst. :D
Quack damn you.