Hostility in other forums. (Nerf)

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
zeda.beta

Hostility in other forums. (Nerf)

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:23 pm

I just have a question.

Why does it seem that every single nerf forum is filled with hostile people?

I mean really, would it kill them to go easy on someone who is a little bit new?
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

cantab

Re: Hostility in other forums. (Nerf)

Post by cantab » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:31 pm

In general forum cultures and styles differ. Larger forums are more likely to be hostile to newcomers, while a small forum like SSC welcomes the extra activity. If newbies regularly post threads that the regulars have seen dozens of times before that further fuels anti-newcomer sentiment. Most people are somewhat conservative and dislike change.

And of course, make a post like the above on a nerf forum and you can expect a REALLY negative reaction.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:56 am

Okay then, i'll probably just stick to lurking on nerf sites.
Quack damn you.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:24 am

That might not always be the case. The Scratch Forums is a huge forum with thousands of members and at least a hundred active ones, but they are very nice and helpul to n00bs. I think this has to do with their strict rules against cussing, being mean, etc. which makes it a much nicer place.

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:01 am

I swear I posted in here...
Anyway, what I said was:
The other forum I go on, BushcraftUK, is extremely friendly to n00bs. It has over 1000 active members. So maybe it's just the minority spoiling it for the majority on nerf forums
I'm a dude

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:14 pm

The attitude you see in Nerf forums took years to develop. And there are several reasons for it. The most prominent is the difference in activity. However, this attitude seems to have started with annoyances (whatever they may have been) at the old NerfOnline forums (which are no longer online).

Lately, however, I've noticed that there are too many people in the community for the "lulz", and this has influenced a few others who otherwise would not do anything to go "pwn" some people. They're more interested in insulting newbies than helping them.

Incidentally, we here at SSC have started planning a launch of our own Nerf website and forum, but a lack of time has prevented anything concrete from emerging. The serious problems with the Nerf community as of late has caused me to reconsider.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:41 pm

I was thinking that the NIC's behavior was a bit more tied with the hobby itself, as new members, particularly young egotistic teens, can't get into paintball or airsoft and so choose Nerf. (And thus bring their attitude and/or stupidity to the NIC. Paintball gets plenty of bad members who think they're better by insulting other communities like ours, though I believe most paintball players are mature and don't do that sort of thing.) I'm probably jumping up too far in saying that though, but it seems like a possibility, and it's definitely likely that a lot of new members are simply intrigued by any kind of projectile shooter but just aren't the kind of people who should be posting in any forum.

The state of the NIC has been a deterrent for me getting into the hobby faster, but the DIY part of Nerf is more difficult than water warfare's and is actually required unless you want to be creamed in a war with a 25ft stock shooter going against 100ft shooting Stefans hooked up to air pressure hopper systems. (The kind that has caused controversy in the NIC due to how much it chances the nature of the gameplay itself.)

However, in the end, it's still understandable to be fed up with "n00bs" at some point; people who make very redundant posts, etc. Thus the rules and regulations get stricter and a system is developed to quickly weed out those who shouldn't be there, but also takes out those who need a little more time than others. Not to mention it's quite elitist too.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:49 pm

Yeah, I do water warfare, Nerf, airsofting and paintballing, so I'm okay with all of the communities. I guess that makes me more laidback with whatever people are interested in.

But at nerf HQ I posted to try and help identify a gun that somebody was wondering about, and they jumped all over me.
Quack damn you.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:04 am

I picked up a nerf gun at a walmart today, and decided to look for mods on some of the nerf forums. You guys are spot-on about this. I was expecting a SSC kind of thing, but its so insane over there. Sorry for necroing, but considering its in the off topics, I guess its okay.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:15 am

After being on the nerf forums for a while, I have to agree. Newbies make perfectly good threads, and immediately a mod locks it because he thinks it's a dumb question; and they don't get their question answered either. This hasn't happened to me, but I find it pretty annoying.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:25 pm

I made a new nerf forum. Here's a link to the topic I already made. http://forums.sscentral.org/t6354/

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:38 am

Good stuff. Just registered, and i hope that more people join.
Quack damn you.