Planning to build a hommade, help needed!

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
yahemi

Planning to build a hommade, help needed!

Post by yahemi » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:46 am

I i was surfing through the internet and found this web site and decided to build the homemade that is potesd here -----> http://www.sscentral.org/tech/homemades/aph.php

i'm a newbie and have some questions.
1. why are there 2 PCs?
2. is it more the better and bigger the better?
3. if possible can there be made any modifications?

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:53 am

This I believe should be in the homemades section.

The APH is fully customisable, so you can do what you want - within sensibility

Answers:
1. Two PCs = double PC capacity - so twice the shottime. If you want 4 PCs do it - it'll take longer to pump though.
2. A bigger weapon has more PC capacity, and can fire for longer again. A longer pump = less pumps to fill - however, keep the pump to 1/2" in diameter - larger and it'll be hard to pump to decent pressures.
3. You can't really modify this - but it is fully customisable, so you can do all sorts of things.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

yahemi

thanks

Post by yahemi » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:04 am

thanks, do u mean the 'homemade wbl' sections, thanks anyways.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:10 pm

He meant the "Homemade water cannon" section. I have moved the thread. ;)
why are there 2 PCs?
Two reasons: capacity and efficient use of space. Two pressure chambers of the same size has twice as much capacity as a single chamber. You can also get a similarly sized chamber by making one big long chamber, but that would be hard to balance and look ususual.
is it more the better and bigger the better?
Depends on your definition of better. If you are looking for a larger capacity, a larger water gun is the obvious choice. If you mean if larger means more powerful, in general that is not true because power is determined by factors largely independent of size.
if possible can there be made any modifications?
Yes, modification are in fact welcome. I think that barely anyone makes this water gun without their own personal modifications. You shouldn't only feel free to modify, it should be second nature to you. :)

Let us know if you have any other questions.

yahemi

i See

Post by yahemi » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:02 pm

ok, i think i'm going to start making one like this weekend or something, thanks for the info...

yahemi

k mod (?)

Post by yahemi » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:09 pm

The adding balloons stuff, or something. is it possible to have that in the PCS with lattex rubber?,and will it improve the gun, giving it more power? people say it gives your more shottime but how strong will the water be?

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:36 pm

You can only K-mod a spherical CPS PC - it won't work on an air pressure gun like an APH. You can however do things like the XPS mod, or similar things to convert it to fire more like a CPS weapon.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:02 pm

yahemi wrote:The adding balloons stuff, or something. is it possible to have that in the PCS with lattex rubber?,and will it improve the gun, giving it more power? people say it gives your more shottime but how strong will the water be?
I believe you are confused on several things and I'll help you out. ;)

First off, as joanna metioned, this is a homemade water gun that operates on air pressure. Rubber-based CPS systems are completely different and separate.

Second, while some people will suggest adding balloons inside of air pressure water gun's pressure chambers as a modification, that is the worst modification around. I should really remove it from the website because it only seems to attract trouble. Adding balloons inside of a PVC chamber also would not only be hard, but likely impossible with no benefits.

If you made a rubber CPS based homemade water gun from latex rubber tubing, then you could add bicycle tubes over the rubber chamber to add thickness (not balloons because those are incorrectly shaped). You also could add a larger layer of latex rubber tubing if you want a much larger power-up. Here's a partially disassembled CPS water gun of mine for an example of a bare homemade CPS water gun: http://www.sscentral.org/images/dscn0190.jpg

Third, any power-up will decrease shot time by their nature. Output is increased in all power-ups by definition (that is, if you define power by output). Increased output decreases total shot time.

If you would like more images of my CPS homemade water gun, I can get some for you before I finish writing the guide on the design. ;)

yahemi

ook

Post by yahemi » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:08 am

ok. i'm thinking of making an air pressure water gun with two PCs with latex rubber in both of them. I prefer power than shot time . Thanks.

But aren't latex tubes reallly small or are there bigger ones in stores?

And what is the pointy metal think in the image? wouldn't that weaken the water stream when put on?

It'll be nice if i see the pictures.

thanks, i'm totally new to water guns

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:00 pm

You seem to be confused by whether you want air pressure or CPS.

If you want CPS, then the APH design will need some modification to make it a CPH (Constant pressure homemade - is that the correct term?).

Never underestimate shot time. Shot time is very useful.

My three most important stats are capacity, range and shot time - if I adjust the range, then shot time will go down, so I make the nozzles smaller. Power is impressive, but it's useless if you empty the PC.

yahemi

ok

Post by yahemi » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:25 pm

smaller the nozzle the longer shottime.

thanks

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:15 am

i'm thinking of making an air pressure water gun with two PCs with latex rubber in both of them.
I don't think you even got the gist of what I was explaining, so I'll try again.

First off, air pressure water guns can not and will not use rubber tubing. Air pressure and CPS (as in the latex rubber tubing homemade water guns) are two completely different and typically opposite systems.

You can not attach rubber tubing to the inside of a pressure chamber in homemade water guns without messy work, especially with PVC components. Regardless, such systems do not work well and must be avoided.

You have two options presented to you, air pressure or CPS via rubber tubing. Choose one, not both.
But aren't latex tubes reallly small or are there bigger ones in stores?
Most stores have the elastic bands meant for exercise, which are no where near large enough. You have to order LRT online, as I explained in my latex rubber tubing. Please read that article to answer more of your questions.
And what is the pointy metal think in the image? wouldn't that weaken the water stream when put on?
That pointing metal thing is a conical nozzle. They were designed in fact to improve the stream by eliminating much of the "impact" faced in a typical flat nozzle. You will see increased distance for the same nozzle orifice diameter from a conical nozzle.

As for why it is in the image, that is easy to explain. That nozzle is too large to be used on that CPS homemade water gun. I put it in the image so I wouldn't have to take two separate images. You can disregard it really.

From what I am reading, I think you should continue asking questions until you fully understand how a water gun operates and most aspects of water gun design. To be honest with everyone, I was extremely surprised a few months ago when I thought about how no one had yet made another homemade CPS cannon aside from Xray and myself. All of the elements are available and easy to assemble. Don't be intimidated by the design because it really is quite simple, as it should be. ;)

yahemi

Post by yahemi » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:28 am

Oh i see. yes i was confused.
cph is probably harder to make.

i want to make the ap. but i don't how to get the correct sizes for all the parts, because i'm currently living in korea (and poeple here don't use inches). I'll probably have to buy sizes that are similar.

Thanks for explaining.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:12 am

The parts do not need to be in any specific size. Some people make these water guns in 1/2" pipe, while others go for the larger 1" pipe. Just make sure that you are consistent in your pipe size for the main parts of the water gun, that you use larger pipe for the pressure chambers, and that you use smaller pipe for the pump and valve areas. That is all explained in the article on the construction of the water gun.

If you'd like a quick conversion of inches to cm, just multiply by 2.5 and you'll get fairly close to the real value (2.54 is the real conversion).

yahemi

Post by yahemi » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:43 am

I've looked up on the internet and found out they both use inches and centimeters. I woulnd't have problems building this homemade, thx