Small change in the rules

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:12 am

Apparently one thing wasn't as obvious as I had been hoping.
Originally posted by SSCentral Forum Rules
Also, a single space goes after a comma and a single or double space goes after a period or other hard punctuation mark (!, ?).
That single sentence was added to the short form of the rules. I do feel that most everyone has been following the rules well, but this is a small flaw exposed by the improved readability. Some of you (in fact many of you) are not in the habit of placing spaces after commas, periods, and other marks. This is becoming annoying to me and I noticed others (nibordude told someone I think). Problem is, on an online forum, many people make judgements about a user's intelligence based upon how they post.

This topic was only to bring note of this small change. Please remember, these rules are here to make our forum better all-around. ;)

Godzillasoaker65

Post by Godzillasoaker65 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:05 pm

You told me that before, and I am glad you did because it makes it easyer to read my posts. :D I have seen a lot of people do that, so it will remind the new members. BTW it confuses me sometimes with the smilies. Should you just put two spaces or none after a smiley? :blink:
Soak, or be soaked that is the question!

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:38 am

Smilies are smilies. If you place the emotioncon in correctly it'll give a space in between the last thing you typed. It's no big deal.

its really annoying when people talk like this,and forget to put spaces.and then the thing just looks ridiculous.it gets annoying after a while.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:11 am

Good to see that you guys are taking our side on this. That's just what we need especially with spring and summer rolling around the corner.

Also, in other news, a few days ago I recounted everyone's post count. Some may have dropped, some may have gone up. I know mine went up an alarming 70 some posts! Just so no one gets nervous about losing posts, they're all there, just recounted.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:49 pm

Originally posted by Godzillasoaker65@Feb 2 2005, 09:05 PM
Should you just put two spaces or none after a smiley? :blink:
[snapback]21809[/snapback]

You should put at least one space after a smiley, but it doesn't really matter if you put more, I think it cuts it down to one anyway. See below.

Example (one space): ...smilies are fun to use. :) However, there is such a thing as smiley abuse...

Example (twenty spaces): ...smilies are fun to use. :) However, there is such a thing as smiley abuse...
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

USSA

Post by USSA » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:01 pm

Just a small complaint for the smilies. Could one of you (it may need to be Doom though) make b ) (without the space) not trigger B) . It makes the creation of lists quite annoying.

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:27 pm

Ugh. I'm not in the habit of putting 2 spaces after hard punctuation marks, this sucks. I've been using only 1 space from day 1 on a computer. Oh well, guess I'll have to get used to this. (psst.... GRRRRRR)
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:08 am

No, a single or double space is recommended only after sentences. You can still use a single space and it would be fine. No one would notice either way; just as long as you use spaces that is.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:11 am

Another small change. This one's short, but I do believe it's important given our other rules.
What to do when the spell check isn't helpful

When our spell check knows you are spelling a word incorrectly but gives no suggestions, do not leave the word as it is. Your word likely is mangled beyond comprehension for the spell check and it truly has no idea what you mean. If you press the "Definition" button it will give you a few more suggestions for your word, and is better in guessing than our spell check is. If you are sure that your word is spelled correctly, add it with the "Learn" button.
I notice this more and more every day! I edit a few posts to fix some spelling errors and it turns out those words don't get suggestions! Just because there's no suggestion doesn't mean leave it as it is. Hit the "Definition" button and see what that gives you. Unless your word is completely spelled incorrectly, it likely will give you the word you're looking for.

Forceuser

Post by Forceuser » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:35 am

I spot that as well. Just thought I might point out to everyone that the spell checker doesn't have any suggestions for "suprise". It's not an error, the word is spelt "surprise".
Hey, images in sigs work again! Woo!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:20 pm

I've again made another change to our forum rules. These are small changes, though they are important.
5) Do not apologize for things such as bringing back old topics or posting things in the incorrect forum. These apologies are becoming rather common and are nothing but a nuisance. It is perfectly acceptable if you are new to break a few rules at first, especially if this is the first forum you've used. Apologies are not necessary or recommended unless you break a major rule.
^ This is getting very common.
How to contact our forums team

Please, by all means, do not contact individual administrators with a problem in our message forum! We have a forums email account that forwards all emails to all of our board administrators. You will likely get your problem solved faster by emailing that address.
Not that I don't like to receive your PMs and such about our forums and little errors in them (by this I am referring to coding or database errors), I still find this necessary. I have made little checks with our database, and statistically, even though I am one of the hundreds of members here, I receive a third of our forums PMs.

In the summer, that can be a lot for me to handle. I've noticed even when I make news posts saying I'm on vacation and am unable to check my PMs, I still get PMs with some sort of "urgency" attached. This small rule will hopefully take a little bit of this load off me.

Freakymist

Post by Freakymist » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:06 am

yet another hilarious and useless rule added about grammar. :Hey, that's funny.:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:53 am

Umm, neither new rule even touched upon grammar, much less mentioned it. That makes me wonder if you read the changes at all. :P

Freakymist

Post by Freakymist » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:29 pm

oh no!nospaces after my punctuation.ithink I spelt that rong!

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:18 pm

I'm not sure if all these rules are going to be beneficial to the growth of the forum. I'm positive a lot of people at these forums come here to have a fun conversation with people who enjoy the same hobby. You cannot expect perfect grammar or spelling with every posts, and doing so will just aggravate most members and might even cause many to leave. In fact, it's possible that many of the members who have joined but never posted at these forums, have decided not to after seeing how each and every post is interrogated and inspected for error. Yes, the spelling check isn't that much of a hassle, but for a lot of people who are just trying to throw in a quick post, it can be a little annoying. I myself have started to feel like I'm drifting away from this set of forums due to the extreme post integrity mindset here.

When summer rolls around, you are bound to have a I am an inexperienced user.. Everyone has predicted it. Can you actually hope to keep up with the stream of 7 and 8 year olds, who don't know what a colon or comma is? This set of forums and the waterwar community in general has transformed from a community of dedicated teenagers who were willing to make changes now to see the rewards later, to a community of people who join to ask questions, and do not really care about the future of the forum.

Just my 2 cents, disregard them if you want.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!