SSCentral Featured on Hack A Day

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
BoltMasterZero

Post by BoltMasterZero » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:31 pm

http://www.hackaday.com/

I stumbled across a link to SSCentral. It's currently the top news post but here's a link directly to today's links. Pretty cool to get some recognition from a highly frequented site. :D

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:38 pm

That's actually really great news! They don't exactly link to the pages I'd like them to, but I hope it draws in a few people.

Let's hope we show up a few more times for some other great water cannons.

What I really hope though is that some other guys take notice, start blogging and get us some much needed backlinks to increase our Google PageRank. :P

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:54 pm

It's now been long enough to see what exactly happened bandwidth-wise in a small graph:

That spike is from the Hackaday feature. Imagine what would happen if we were Slashdotted! We'd probably run out of bandwidth, so while I'd appreciate being Slashdotted, tell me before you do anything so I could remove high-bandwidth items from the site and implement gzipping of all pages.

Also note the period in March of no activity. That is from when the original sscentral.net domain ran out and we had to get our current sscentral.org.

While activity overall here at Super Soaker Central is at a low compared with last year, I wouldn't say that's all bad. It's only a matter of time before Google and other search engines spider our entire site and we're back in most searches we were in before. Not only that, but I'm working on an update that should help us.

Next year, these bandwidth graphs would look more like a bell curve because we shouldn't lose popularity in the summer like we have this year.