A thought on the spring mod

Threads about water gun modifications.
lmm

A thought on the spring mod

Post by lmm » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:40 pm

I've just opened up my CPS2000 with the intent of colossusing it, and a thought occurs to me: why not stick a spring between the end of the PC and the PC casing, á la the "spring mod" done on water warriors guns? Is this a reasonable idea? Has anyone tried this before?

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:07 pm

The spring mod is suitable for Hydro Power water guns because they have a flat rubber diaphragm that expands in one direction. A cylindrical tube expands more to the sides than it does lengthwise, though. Also, a spring would make the pressure less constant unless you use a conical one designed for constant force. :cool:

lmm

Post by lmm » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:34 pm

The spring mod is suitable for Hydro Power water guns because they have a flat rubber diaphragm that expands in one direction. A cylindrical tube expands more to the sides than it does lengthwise, though.
Yes, but AIUI the colossus is only adding pressure sideways, since your multiple "segments" of inner tube aren't attached together in any way so they can just slide apart lengthways, no? So doing both should result in pressure in the same ratio sideways/longways as before.
Also, a spring would make the pressure less constant unless you use a conical one designed for constant force.
Good point; I'll see if I can find one.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:29 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central!

From what I've read about the "spring mod," this modification simply did not work well. I don't know any exact details but from the IM conversations I had with blaze I got the impression that the modification made the water gun less reliable, potentially could damage the rubber in the PC, and activated the relief valve too often.

You're welcome to try putting a spring in the pressure chamber to try to compress it length-wise, but I'll tell you one thing. The case the chamber is held in isn't meant to be under stress. You'd likely break it if you put spring in there. Though, I also feel you'd break the CPS chamber if you put a spring in that way. Having worked with latex tubing extensively, I wouldn't put uneven stress on the tube in that direction unless I wanted the tube to pop. I can't stop you from experimenting, but I thought I'd at least warn you of the potential consequences. You can go prove me wrong now. ;)
Last edited by SSCBen on Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

lmm

Post by lmm » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:39 pm

*shrug*; I'm probably going to replace the PC in question with LRT when I get round to it (it was damaged from being left pressurized), so it's not that much to loose on that front. But thanks for the warning. I'll make sure to take pics in case it works wonderfully.