Help needed with Backpack/Capacity mod

Threads about water gun modifications.
gamerboy0012

Post by gamerboy0012 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:32 pm

Hey im sort of new to super soakers, I mean i use them all the time but i always have trouble with running out of water can anyone help me with makeing a mod or mods for my xl 270, blazer, and my liquidator.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:38 pm

Welcome to SSC. If you want, you can get a member with "powers" to move this to a more relevant forum--that is, "Super Soaker modifications," under "Technology and physics."

The best reservoir expansion mods are backpack ones, which basically involve the attachment of a tube to the opening in the normal reservoir. You can perform some searches for these in the forums, and if I have time, I'll post links to any that I find. Search for "reservoir," "expansion," "capacity," "backpack," etc.

By the way, you might want to change "my xl 270" to "my XP 270." Also, some members are a little strict with grammar, including the capitalization of "I" ;) .
Last edited by Silence on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:48 pm

No, I think he has a Monster XL, and an XP 270. But you could be right there, Silent Guy. And how can you be "Always logged in?" Do you do anything in life other than post here? :p
EV Nova: - http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/
"A CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!" *Takes 'em home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.* -"snap!"- "A Max-D trigger!""

gamerboy0012

Post by gamerboy0012 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:00 am

ya I have a XP 270 and I wish i had a monster xl

gamerboy0012

Post by gamerboy0012 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:20 am

*Thread merge begins*

I need to know how I can make a back pack mod for my xp 270. :confused:
Last edited by joannaardway on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:07 am

@ Hannibal: I guess I was right...but nice catch. By "ALWAYS LOGGED IN," I was referring to the fact that most of the time, you'll see me listed as an active user at the main forums page. That's because I always keep a forums page open in at least one tab of Firefox, and with the Session Saver extension, the tabs are loaded all the time. Thus, if my computer is on, I am supposedly an active user. Of course, I only open up Firefox and look at that tab now and then throughout the day.

But you are right...I post a lot :D .
EDIT: Maybe I post so much because the forums tab is easily accessible...

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:11 am

Did you actually create a new thread for this? It's fine if it is a continuation of your other thread, "i need help with a cappacity mod". We need an administrator/moderator to merge these threads.

Did you do the searches I suggested? By the way, there are instructions for making a backpack at the main SSC site, but that design admittedly leaks.

I'll do some searches right now--because I could use this mod myself, and not just for my broken XP 270.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:45 am

Okay, I did the searches, but nothing really came up. After that, I looked at the "Backpack Mod" article in the main page--and it turned out much better than I had expected it to be. Take a look at this if you haven't done so already.

Believe it or not, a "flimsy" trash bag can actually make a good backpack. I like the design because of its simplicity, which is fundamental in modded and homemade water guns. Of course, the article skipped the hose-soaker attachment, but that can be done easily enough, especially if you can find a female threaded PVC piece that fits onto the soaker. Actually, that sounds like an idea I would use if I can find the perfect piece. If you don't mind hacking apart your gun, then you can cut a hole in the cap to your soaker.

Another method is to use PVC for the backpack as well. Use wide tubing for the main reservoir and reducers to go to the hose; I like this because the hose seal has a lesser chance of leaking. Essentially, you use a hose clamp to hold the hose onto both the soaker and the gun. Writing up this reply actually made me more aware of how to do backpacks (you can use these on all your guns if you have the appropriate reducers), especially using the last design.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:19 pm

*Moderator mode*
Ok, I've merged both threads, and moved them to modifications. I've left a re-direct in "New users" so people don't lose this thread.
*End moderator mode*

Capacity mods can mean other things - my 3xA (triple aggressor for those that don't understand) has a capacity mod - it has a 1.1/1.2 litre PC - larger than almost any stock weapon. (yes, you people with your homemades have 1.5 l PCs). Because of this, the shot time has gone through the roof. With pre-charging the chambers, 70% shot time is very good.

Backpack mods aren't very common - however, they are very useful - allowing much more efficent carrying of your ammo.

The backpack mod page is worth a read. It should answer some questions, and then ask the rest.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:50 pm

Thanks for merging the threads, joannaardway...it was just a little annoying.

joannaardway (Post #9)
With pre-charging the chambers, 70% shot time is very good.
I'm not too bright; what is "70%" referring to?

I understand that backpack mods aren't too popular, but they're usually better than on-soaker capacity mods, and the techniques are good to know if one is going to make a homemade.

gamerboy0012

Post by gamerboy0012 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:09 pm

ya I didn't mean to put that thread on this one i thought it would be separate. But what i meant was that I want to know how to make a different kind of backpack mod.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:18 pm

70% shot time is the amount of time that the shot is at 70% range/power/whatever or more.

The mods could be seen as similar enough that they could be combined, so I hope you haven't got a problem.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:22 pm

What do you mean by "a different kind of backpack mod?" We can specialize the design, but we really need to know what you have in mind.

I prefer backpacks along the line of what I suggested (but that others have probably pioneered) because of their superior strength and resistance to puncture. Besides, they just seem a little cleaner, though the article's design is elegant and simple. Maybe Ben should update that article to include some PVC designs. The bag has an enormous potential capacity, and PVC can too, even if it adds a little more weight and expense.

It is not neccessary for somebody to adjust the backpack mod to suit the XP 270. If Ben could use a standard 3-liter, bought on his first attempt, to upgrade the capacity of a SoakerTag gun, then after a few tries or measurements, you should be able to find a PVC piece that works for your XP 270. Remember that the backpack can be used for any gun if it has the right fitting.

Okay, these last two paragraphs have been guesses as to what you meant by "a different kind of backpack mod." Hopefully they answer your question; post again if they don't.

Once again: could you please use more appropriate grammar? I'm sure that's within your ability; otherwise you wouldn't be at a tech site like this. No offense, of course...

EDIT: I didn't see joannaardway's post.
Okay, I understand what you mean now.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:26 pm

I've been designing a backpack for a PR soaker - it appears that it will be a nightmare to pressurize, but essentially the reservior is filled to full, and a litre bottle is used as the intial air space to allow for better shot time and less dropoff.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:06 pm

Will this be a PCgH? If not, I have some serious doubts about the performance. After all, Lonnie Johnson and the Cosmic Liquidator guys realized that you need air if you actually wanted to pressurize a tank.

Of course, we can always use CPHs to eliminate dropoff...