My brothers, there is hope!

General water gun discussion.
Chewie

My brothers, there is hope!

Post by Chewie » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:54 pm

I know that an often-stated fact of water guns is they aren't being built or marketed for the post-tween demographic. However, there seems to be a shift happening in a related field; NERF.

Witness the Nerf Vulcan EBF 25 Automatic Machine Gun. At a retail price of over $40, it seems to be marketed toward the older adolescent/drunken frat guy demographic which, while we may not necessarily embody, we carry it in our hearts.

I ask you, is this a CHILD's toy?

SSCBen

Re: My brothers, there is hope!

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:22 pm

For the last few years Hasbro has targeted Nerf towards an older audience than Super Soaker. It isn't out of the ordinary to see better weaponry in Nerf than in water guns. They think those weapons will sell better, and they have been selling better. From what I know they consider Nerf a core brand, while Super Soaker has been sidelined. The two lines are mostly separate.

Anyway, from what I've read and seen, the Vulcan likely will perform rather poorly. From the video I saw it shot less than 20 feet. So it's in the same category as the HydroBlitz: large but underpowered. That seems to be a trend with Hasbro.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:20 pm

...but it had so much potential! :p

For the most part, Super Soaker hasn't dropped the ball in the Nerf arena; any perceived problems have probably been there since they started the line. And at least it's relatively easy to mod a Nerf gun to increase its performance.

Nice to see you back, by the way. :cool:

Chewie

Post by Chewie » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:24 pm

Hey, good to be back. Now go answer my last question in the repairs forum. The gun is about 90% operational.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:13 pm

Ew. Have you guys ever used to old nerf rapid-fire series guns? Air pressure operated, rapid fire, and actually decent range, for half the price.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:48 am

The old RF20, Wildfire, and Powerclip were all good Nerf guns. Today something very similar to the Powerclip called the Magstrike is still being sold. It's a good Nerf gun. I bought one for about $20 and it performed as expected. Later I gave it to my younger brother as a gift. There's some decent modifications for the Magstrike as well. A few months ago I think they had a two for one sale on Amazon.com for Magstrikes too. I probably should have bought one more to modify and use in some Nerf wars but I didn't consider it much because I was busy.