Water Warfare ARMOUR

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
Daehak-Kun

Water Warfare ARMOUR

Post by Daehak-Kun » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:12 am

well i was thinking, being from a waterwar communtiy where people use high powered WBLs and crash tackle you if you get to close Soi sketched up some designs and ill *try* put them up with some instuctions on how to make them I have v sored versions for helmets, sniper armour (lighter stuff), Joe Blogg armour(just your normal stuff) and tank armour with lots of variations...

adn yeah ask away

Aurum

Re: Water Warfare ARMOUR

Post by Aurum » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:03 pm

Hang on... Are you saying that you want to produce some Armour to use in Warfare?
That sounds all well and good... except this is WATER warfare we're talking about. The Jet streams usually don't exactly hurt ;)

Although, if you could produce armour that keeps you dry, or at leas keeps the water off your face (Windscreen?) I'd be much more interested ;)
Armoury includes: Homemade Copper Gun, "Requiem" (boasts a very large water-carrying capacity, large pressure chamber, fitted pressure gauge, and as of 2nd Sept 2011, fully working home-made pump)
I seem to literally only log in once a year!

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:56 pm

Well, it sounds like his people do direct WBL hits and physical tackles. I'd consider that outrageous cheating, but local rules apply I guess.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

bushman

Post by bushman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:43 am

Normally, When I have a water fight, Once your hit your out of the game. So it wouldn't madder much. It all depends on your game type.
z0mg, I has water gun.

Daehak-Kun

Post by Daehak-Kun » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:40 am

Aurum wrote:Hang on... Are you saying that you want to produce some Armour to use in Warfare?
That sounds all well and good... except this is WATER warfare we're talking about. The Jet streams usually don't exactly hurt ;)

Although, if you could produce armour that keeps you dry, or at leas keeps the water off your face (Windscreen?) I'd be much more interested ;)
Well my designs do that ;) and well the tackles and everything... also we play with a soakness meter thing based on how wet your skin is at the end of the game so they do everything

Also, Cantab, we call phhysical contact skill if you can get that close with out being pwned by a WBL or modified supercannon and thw WBL's, protection from guys who come ruinning at you....
Last edited by Daehak-Kun on Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:14 pm

Ah yeah. If you play by wetness of skin, or a t-shirt, then armour over that becomes useful.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:15 pm

So the local rules here are some kind of combination between football and water warfare? (minus the ball scoring of course) Interesting, but the high powered weapons are only one-shot deals, which is a pretty considerable limitation.

Daehak-Kun

Post by Daehak-Kun » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:40 am

C-A_99 wrote:but the high powered weapons are only one-shot deals, which is a pretty considerable limitation.

You, know there has been talk of automatic WBL's? well, some guys have made it and did istress MODIFIED super cannon which means hooking up about 100-300 litres of water to it and being a turret

soo... is it worth it?
Last edited by Daehak-Kun on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vickers303

Post by Vickers303 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:52 am

Actually, I don't think it is. I've actually made plans with my school's robotics team, engineering team, and VEX team. We've already agreed to one thing: A suit of armor is useless in any recreational warfare, since:
1. It's too frickin' heavy and inconvenient. Originally, I used 4 inch PVC plates strapped on with velcro strips. It took ten minutes to put it on, and after taking a shot with a WBL, the effect was the same as if I didn't have any armor at all. Water ballons have WATER. It soaks right through. For the heavy part, we tried non-pressure-rated pvc to lighten it. It shattered. Normal PVC armor weighs a good fifteen to twenty pounds. If you use steel ... about forty pounds. We ended up trashing the entire project.
2. Instant target on the battlefield. If you want to survive heavy fire, dodge. If you are under heavy fire and you're wearing a suit, you will succumb to the sheer volume of fire.
3. It's kind of expensive. To get good protection against 3 or four inch water balloons (don't worry about water guns. They're basically harmless), you need blast foam or come other soft material to cushion the shock. Then you need actual plates, then the time to shape them, then straps to mount them. Too time and cost ineffective for the benefits.

If armor is just used as a defensive piece of equiptment, then it's not very useful on the battlefield. Better protection comes from running fast. However, if armor is used offensively, it's much better. Mount a supercannon, a WBL, and an air compressor with armor. Powered exoskeleton, anyone?
Why isn't there a water gun armored vehicle yet?

Arsenal: Modded Supercannon, Backpack-modified Piston Gun, WBL, Storm 300 Pistol, and a whole slew of defunct soakers in the garage.

Specter

Post by Specter » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:16 am

hey vickers, I see you're on a robotics team. would this happen to be a FIRST robotics team? I was on my schools robotics team as well. We were in NYC regional last year, did your team go there?
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

Vickers303

Post by Vickers303 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:05 am

Yeah, it's the Stuyvesant FIRST robotics team. But we keep on losing ...
Do you mean the Jacob Javits Regional?

Arsenal: Modded Supercannon, Backpack-modified Piston Gun, WBL, Storm 300 Pistol, and a whole slew of defunct soakers in the garage.

Specter

Post by Specter » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:29 pm

yeah, my team was there. we were the ones with the hovercraft.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

Vickers303

Post by Vickers303 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:55 pm

Wait ... For lunacy? You guys used a hovercraft for lunacy? You have my utmost respect ... Do you guys have a website for your team? I would very much like to see your bot.

Also, about the armor, I'm thinking about making a powered exoskeleton with my VEX team that can carry armor and armament. It may use lethal or higher-powered weaponry (that's what I get for teaming up with a bunch of weapon nuts. Ah, well :cool: ...

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:07 am

Heh, I haven't been keeping up with robotics for my team (226 Hammerheads), I didn't even go to Atlanta with the team. From what I know of before, we were spending most of the game time getting supercells, but made improvements to the shooting system. I don't know much else of what's been going on.

Automatic WBL's. I've seen one constructed somewhere, but didn't see any firing. It was very well put together though and was about the size of the LPD/HydroBlitz. However, considering I have trouble with things as basic as building breeches and even getting pump seals to work, the technology is way out of reach right now. Plus, the way it was built probably requires all water balloons to be a standard size, unless it also works with sabots too. (which would be pretty amazing)

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:30 am

Vickers303 wrote:Wait ... For lunacy? You guys used a hovercraft for lunacy? You have my utmost respect ... Do you guys have a website for your team? I would very much like to see your bot.

Also, about the armor, I'm thinking about making a powered exoskeleton with my VEX team that can carry armor and armament. It may use lethal or higher-powered weaponry (that's what I get for teaming up with a bunch of weapon nuts. Ah, well :cool: ...

no, last year, overdrive or w/e it was. we used a hovercraft to cart our robot around.

This year we took our bot to Rochester (finger lakes regional) and Annapolis (Chesapeake regional)