Pumping limits?

General water gun discussion.
lazerhawk08

Pumping limits?

Post by lazerhawk08 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:33 am

Is it bad to pump a water gun too many times? Does it over pressurize? How many times should I pump the FF (Flash Flood if you're new)
Last edited by lazerhawk08 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have trichotillomania (trik-O-til-a-mAn-Eu)
Which meens i rip out my hair uncontrollably...its emotionally depressing...
If anyone could help...PM me...

emperor_james

Re: Pumping limits?

Post by emperor_james » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:45 am

Once pressure gets too high the check valve kicks in and keeps you from overpressurizing, so you dont have to worry. It only becomes an issue if youve modded the gun and frozen the check valve in order to allow higher pressures.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:14 am

We now refer to this "check valve" as the pressure relief valve on the website to distinguish it from other kinds of check valves. It's just a special check valve that opens at a pressure greater than 1 psi like a normal one does. By doing that, it can sent any water being pumped into the chamber back into the reservoir if the pressure's deemed too high.

Our review states that 30 to 35 pumps should do the trick and get you the maximum pressure allowed by the relief valve.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:18 pm

Going by the statistics on iSoaker.com about 15 pumps seems appropriate. The number of pumps varies from water gun to water gun, though not usually by such a large margin. I'd suggest pumping your water gun until a valve makes a squeal like sound, counting each pump. The pump before the squeal sound is the one to stop at. That squeal is the sound of the pressure relief valve working.

Aurum

Post by Aurum » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:08 pm

Basically, any pumping done AFTER the relief valve kicks in is just a waste of time and effort.
Armoury includes: Homemade Copper Gun, "Requiem" (boasts a very large water-carrying capacity, large pressure chamber, fitted pressure gauge, and as of 2nd Sept 2011, fully working home-made pump)
I seem to literally only log in once a year!

Goldfish4209

Post by Goldfish4209 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:30 pm

on my FF, it makes a sort of "pop" or "clunk"

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:51 pm

It shouldn't do that. It should just sound like water is flowing back into the reservoir, with a slight click at the end of the stroke when the sealing face in the relief valve closes.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:59 pm

On the FF, the PRV won't be terribly noticeable, at least not as much as on other guns that make a relatively loud sound as the PRV lets water back in. However, pumping always gets a bit more difficult, and if you listen closely, you can still hear a sound. (plus it aids in stealth as you prepare to make a hit-and-run attack with the flood nozzle)