CPS 2000 high-pitched squeaking-disturbing

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Hannibal

CPS 2000 high-pitched squeaking-disturbing

Post by Hannibal » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:14 pm

I have a CPS 2000 and every time I use it, it squeaks VERY loudly. Once I pump it past about the 1/4 mark, it suddenly starts squeaking on every pump (not a continuous noise). This happens until the gun is completely pumped. After I have done three full shots, the gun does not squeak for the fourth shot. (It is a mark II.) I am afraid that it is an air leak, because I am not really able to do any air shots. The gun has no performance problems, goes its normal 50 feet. The gun does not look strange from the outside, but I am afraid to open it, because it is a rare gun, and I wouldn't want to damage it. Any advice?

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:23 pm

This sounds like its just a small squeak in your internals, which shouldn't mean anything bad.

It could also mean that the pump is drying up a bit. There's a rubber stopper in the pump that draws in water and then pushes it into the PC. If that starts to deteriorate it can squeak and have less of a seal, but still draw water from the tank after a couple good pumps. The thing I would do is put some vaseline on the rubber area to lessen the squeak and maybe make a better seal.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:40 pm

Ok, so just remove the pump shaft and put vaseline on the rubber? That shouln't be too bad. I'll do it the next time I am free. :p

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:30 am

This problem is probably just the safety release valve kicking in. Don't worry about it. It likely isn't a problem anyway. As Nibordude mention, it could also be a squeaky pump, so try lubricating that. Vaseline is said to cause rubber to deteriorate, so try some silicon based lubricant instead.

To check if the problem is the safety release valve (commonly and incorrectly referred as the "check valve"), listen to the valves behind the pump while pumping. If you can isolate the sound, it should be in those valves.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:47 pm

Ben wrote:This problem is probably just the safety release valve kicking in. Don't worry about it. It likely isn't a problem anyway. As Nibordude mention, it could also be a squeaky pump, so try lubricating that. Vaseline is said to cause rubber to deteriorate, so try some silicon based lubricant instead.
Would you be able to tell me what Silicon-based lubricant is? I have needed it before, but could never find it. I'm sorry, I just don't know what you are talking about.
EV Nova: - http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/
"A CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!" *Takes 'em home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.* -"snap!"- "A Max-D trigger!""

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:37 am

There are many silicon based lubricants. The most common is a spray, usually called silicone spray. Hope this helped!