Insertion bug

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
Silence

Insertion bug

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:24 pm

@ Ben: I'm assuming this is a bug with vBulletin in the new reply editor when the response is so long that the vertical scroll bar appears: whenever one inserts bold/italic/underline text, smilies, links, etc., the editor does so, but takes you to the top line. It's not too big a deal, but it can be annoying, in case you haven't noticed it.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:30 pm

It does this at many forums, and all the water war related ones. In a long post, I usually just write out the code rather than using the button.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:18 pm

I'm surprised you understood exactly what I meant, because I had a few problems with the wordings :rolleyes: .

I meant this as a very minor flaw, not really a bug or a glitch. I haven't been here, or at any other forums, long enough to have memorised the various syntax usages (funny wording).

Well, if this is at most forums, then it's probably an issue that can't really be resolved. Ben, you might as well delete this thread or something if it's just going to waste space--I won't mind a bit.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:15 am

Actually, I don't think it happens at ISCF, but I wouldn't notice either way, having been posting at forums for the last 2 and a half years. You get really used to everything when enough time passes.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:50 am

I've actually run into this problem before as well. The problem is that the field scrolls after a JavaScript that modifies that field is executed. There's no way the vBulletin programmers could have avoided that problem because it is controlled by the browser. There might be some way to automatically make it scroll back, but I don't know enough about JavaScript to determine that.

If there are any problems with this software that are obviously beyond my control such as programming bugs or minor errors, tell the vBulletin people. They program the software and the fix they make will help lots of other forum owners as well. ;)

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:15 am

Hmm...I'm taking AP Computer Science next year (based on Java), so I might know more about this then...but for now, I can live with this. Maybe somebody can package a Firefox extension to fix this, seeing how it only appears to be the way your browser handles JavaScript. Oh well...

EDIT on 5/28/06: If you just start typing after the editor takes you to the top of your reply, it'll automatically scroll down for you. I'm locking this thread...
Last edited by Silence on Sun May 28, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.