Ideas for a semi-auto WBL

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Techie

Ideas for a semi-auto WBL

Post by Techie » Fri May 21, 2010 7:05 pm

I'm starting to get into the semi-auto concept and need a design to start off with. I have the classic design down and I want to get a bit more advanced. After this I will be going full-auto.

martianshark

Re: Ideas for a semi-auto WBL

Post by martianshark » Fri May 21, 2010 7:36 pm

A lot of people are saying,"I want to build a semi-auto pnuematic cannon," but really nobody's ever done it. You'll have to be a genius with lots of materials before you could make one.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Fri May 21, 2010 8:30 pm

One person did, in fact, make a semi-auto WBL, but it got poor range because of the size of the PC and barrel. All you would have to do is make the PC out of a bigger gauge pipe, and make a bigger barrel.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

Techie

Post by Techie » Sat May 22, 2010 12:04 am

So what about an assault type WBL with rapid reloading.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:02 am

The "semi auto prototype" is actually just a concept for a valve that lets in small packets of air at a time. The main problem with that is that each shot progressively gets weaker. You will need an air regulator to get proper semi and full auto. Also, you will need a reliable mechanism to drive the loading system; usually one powered by the air is best. However, it may not be as simple as the classic gas operated BB/paintball gun as the projectiles are fragile.

Techie

Post by Techie » Sun May 23, 2010 5:04 am

But seriously, what about an assault type???
You know what turned Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side. If I were called "Annie" for 20 years, I would get pretty pissed off too.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sun May 23, 2010 7:50 pm

You would have to make the entire design from scratch, and develop your own method of reloading and storing the balloons. Even so, making an automatic would be extremely difficult.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon May 24, 2010 2:14 am

A semi-auto valve assembly is pretty easy to do. The combination of a DCV and QEV make it easy. I was among the first to realize this. I independently developed the right combination of valves and detailed their use here: http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12468

Nearly any sort of 3-way valve and QEV can do... for a WBL I might suggest 6646K11 and 46095K51 from McMaster-Carr. This combination is expensive, but it would get the job done easily.

Anyhow, the actual advancement mechanism itself is the problem. Making a system that does not pop balloons would be difficult as C-A_99 noted. Something that uses an air cylinder attached to the primary pressure chamber (not the air reservoir) would be one way to approach the problem, but it has to be gentle.

I'll explain all of this in more detail when I have more time. Let me know if you have any questions and that will indicate what I have to explain.