Swing Check Valve

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
swirlycurly

Swing Check Valve

Post by swirlycurly » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:37 pm

If oriented the right way would they be able to be used on an aph instead of the other check valves? Or would they even hold the air pressure

cantab

Re: Swing Check Valve

Post by cantab » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:43 pm

I think so. But why? Sure, so maybe they're cheaper - but seriously, it's probably not worth the fiddle, and also the angle restrictions they'll cause. You don't want to drop your gun and find that causes it to lose all pressure!
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

swirlycurly

Post by swirlycurly » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:45 pm

alright, i was thinking more about where to get the better check valves made of brass. I am looking to build a copper aph and do not know which hardware store to go to. Home Depot or Lowes?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:30 pm

Go to both and see which one you like better. The differences between the two depend much more on the individual store rather than the company as a whole. They both should have similar selections but the layout and location will vary greatly.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:18 pm

I use swing check valves (because they cost half as much as the spring loaded PVC ones available locally), and they work just fine. You just have to watch out for the angle you're holding the gun at when pressure is low.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:17 am

Apparently the Home Depot has better pipe selection and Lowes has better fittings selection. I've actually never found PVC at the Home Depot (and the closest one *is* quite far away), only faucets, sinks, etc.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:18 am

I think the selection depends greatly on the individual store rather than the national chain. For example, I've never seen small brass fittings at the Home Depot I use most often (I'm sure they're there though). I have however found them easily in Lowes and a smaller Home Depot. Generally the selections are the same.

The Home Depot I use most often does however have pressure rated pipe more often. I've never looked at the other Home Depot near where I live but the one in College Park had a similar selection of pressure rated pipe. As I said though, it probably depends more on the individual store rather than the national chain.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:53 am

Having used swing check valves, I can say they are not worth the extra limitations. Just spend the extra money and get spring check valves to avoid any problems. The clinking and clanking sounds swing check valves make are annoying anyway.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

CROC

Post by CROC » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:25 am

In my local stores selling check valves, the spring ones are about 400% more expensive than their swing valve counterpart.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back