New Homemade Design

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:23 pm

I have come up with a Big Trouble inspired homemade, in which the backpack has a bike pump on it to pressurize the backpack. The trigger valve on this homemade is NOT a ball valve, instead, I have found that the valves from small air compressors work great, and they are smaller. You press down on the lever on top to open the valve.

Plans are below, all PVC except for the backpack and the extra PC on the gun inself are 1/2", and the rest are 2".

EDIT: Now why can't I upload it here for some reason? I compressed the file size all the way down to 3,000 bytes and it still won't let me upload it.

EDIT #2: And this is why I bought a domain.

I don't check this forum anymore.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:52 pm

Nice picture. To get that to work, you'll need to use a more complicated pump system. From the looks of that one, you're only pumping air into the reservoir, not pumping water into the PC. You'll need two check valves and a water pump to pump water into a PC. Look at the APH diagram for more information.

I don't think an air compressor valve would work the best. Ball valves are cheap and of the highest performance, but do take some getting used to. I'd suggest staying with a ball valve if you want best performance.

USSA

Post by USSA » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:27 pm

I use those air compressor valves to modify solenoid to pnematics for air cannons. They work great for that only problem is that on a water gun you would be limited to an extremely small size nozzle.

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:40 pm

Here's another one I came up with. It's just a modified version of Doom's APH design, however, there is an extra pump on the PC. This is for pressurizing the water inside extra.

I don't check this forum anymore.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:38 pm

How exactly is the pump on the PC going to work? I understand that you want to put more pressure in the tank, but I think one pump would be fine. It depends on how the pump works. I'm interested on how this pump would work.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Forceuser

Post by Forceuser » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:46 pm

Presumably, the normal pump would pump water into the PC, but the extra pump would pump air into it.
Hey, images in sigs work again! Woo!

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:56 pm

Well, if you pump a ton of air into the PC, then a ton of air would come out with the water and the stream would be broken up.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

USSA

Post by USSA » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:29 pm

Not if you made a vertical tank. This would work similarly to any separate compression xp gun. On a side note if you put in a short tube (as in the ss50) then the water would be drawn out. Given not all of the water could be used (hence less efficiency and more weight). However this would be the first seperate and single (in one) compression gun.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:16 pm

That pump wouldn't work. I am quite sure of it. You could pump extra air into the PC with the normal pump anyway. The air (always) floats on top of the water, that PC design is NOT the best for angled shots therefore. If the pump gets too hard to pump, it's safe to say that the pressure is hitting the limit and you should stop. A pump like that actually would decrease pressure without a strong check valve (like how many make it in Nerf homemades). The extra pump in this case would not be useful or even necessary.

Forceuser

Post by Forceuser » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:57 pm

What about if you did an XPS mod on it. That would then mean that it could be fired at all angles (although the balloons might not hold up to the pressure).
Hey, images in sigs work again! Woo!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:13 pm

I very highly doubt the balloons would work correctly in that situation. They'll likely pop and replacement would be very much a pain even if you make the PC threaded. If you're making a homemade, and want it to have CPS-like properties, the best thing to do would be to make it CPS. Also, if you wanted to shoot your gun at a 45 degree angle better, all you'd have to do is make the PC vertical like USSA already said.