Crazy Finger Force. CPS 4100 Dead. (Probably from "4100N" of force)

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
JCSoaker

Crazy Finger Force. CPS 4100 Dead. (Probably from "4100N" of force...just kidding kids)

Post by JCSoaker » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:22 am

Before going into this thread, in my opinion I'd give the CPS 4100 -
4 out of 10. It is just too weak, and a rip off of the monster. If anyone have any ideas of modifying it tell me. I cannot get the gun appart as the red stopper prevents it from being open.
Weight and size does not matter as long it is under 35 lbs per hand...

Back to repairing my CPS 4100...

My trigger broke off my CPS 4100 in 2004. (I guess I pulled too hard when it got stuck, silly plastic). I left the gun unfixed in my garage for a couple of years, and as a new battle recalls for a water gun, I need help and answers to this problem. I unscrewed the entire gun and the stupid red stopper was impossible to get off and I could not risk sawing it off, but it did not impede with the reconstruction of the trigger. I tried making a new trigger two days ago, which fit perfectly and super glued it with two layers in 48 hours. However after the second shot in 8.5X mode, the glued trigger fell off today.
Does anyone know a good company/store/shop/person who can fix these sort of things?
Super glue doesn't work so I guess I need a new trigger part that is compatible with the CPS 4100.

Can anyone help me?

Just for fun I'll put an "edited pic" of my gun for those unfamiliar with the
CPS 4100

Last edited by JCSoaker on Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:56 pm

Sawing the red cap off won't damage the gun at all, so do that. When you see what the problem is, we'll be able to help you, although I'm pretty sure I recognize the problem.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:04 pm

Try cutting a slit right through the center of the piece, so it can seperate with the rest of the frame. For the trigger, try cutting some metal pieces and gluing it to the sides of the piece. Here's a pic on a 2100 trigger repair I made. So far it's holding up fairly well. Gorrilla glue was used to repair this.

JCSoaker

Post by JCSoaker » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:44 pm

Cool idea C-A_99. I never thought of reinforcing the plastic. However there might be a problem in fitting the trigger since the slit is very very small. I'll try it anyways. Theres one small problem though, I can't find small metal pieces around my house, so is there a popular store where I can buy the metal pieces similar to the ones you have?

(In Canada, BC of course)

Thanks.
Last edited by JCSoaker on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Armoury: Level III- (2) (going to have)Super Heavy Assualt homemades (2) Heavy Assualt CPS (Monster XL,etc)(3)Medium Assualt CPS (4100,etc)(4) Light Assualt CPS (1200, etc) (15) secondary weapons(Xp,MAXD,etc) (5) Extra Stuff

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:06 pm

My dad just found some at Home Depot, just a "sheet" of steel, and then cut it up with some metal cutter. For the slit, sandpapering and using a ball bearing should clear enough space. Be careful with the glue, and make sure you apply enough as it is likely to get weak quickly if you don't use enough. (as said, I used gorrilla glue, should be able to find it in most hardware stores and home-improvement stores)

DX

Post by DX » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:30 pm

Some cylindrical pc CPS guns' triggers can be swapped, such as a 2500 trigger into a 2000. There is also an experimental way to force the trigger of a spherical pc CPS gun to function natively in a cylindrical pc CPS gun. Last Fall, I successfully repaired my 2500 with a 2100 trigger and think that the same process might work with other guns.

However, if you haven't got other CPS guns, then forget I said anything. Image
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:11 am

SilentGuy wrote:Hmm, I actually had a bit of trouble searching back when I had to open mine up for repairs.

The only solution is to saw of the red cap - it's glued on. Just take a metal saw of some type and start sawing at the red/gray seam.

Once you get over the shock of actually sawing off part of a CPS gun, you'll have fun . It was no choice for me, as the gun's trigger was broken anyway and the pressure chamber was full. I had nothing to lose by opening up the gun.

You probably have a Mark 2 CPS 4100, so do a trigger reinforcement before the trigger breaks. Trust me on this, if you have the Mk.2. It's going to break sometime.
That's from the other thread. Guess there's no choice for you either, now. 'Tis a shame.

You'll probably need to do a bladder replacement if the bladder was full for two years. The rubber would have been severely weakened.

JCSoaker

Post by JCSoaker » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:00 am

I need a source of pressure to do that, and the metal sheets you mentioned I coulnd't find them at home depot.
I want to know excactly what I need to fix the trigger

These are the only resources I have...

one person (me)
CPS 4100
Gorrilla Glue
Screw Drivers.

I need:

Metal sheets measured to exact fit.
Clamps of objects to create a downward pressure to the glue.
Some plastic object for the trigger as I found the last piece weak.
Another person to help me (nobody in my family can, so I am guessing professional help from a hobby shop)
a cutting tool to separate the red end piece
a cutting tool to create a metal reinforcement

My problem is huge, for just one little trigger.

Replacing the bladder is even worse.

Can anyone help me in a detailed message?
Thanks.
Armoury: Level III- (2) (going to have)Super Heavy Assualt homemades (2) Heavy Assualt CPS (Monster XL,etc)(3)Medium Assualt CPS (4100,etc)(4) Light Assualt CPS (1200, etc) (15) secondary weapons(Xp,MAXD,etc) (5) Extra Stuff

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:41 pm

It's really a lot simpler than you might imagine. Read the trigger repair article.

Any piece of metal should work. I'm using the sealing metal piece of a cashew nut can (under the plastic lid - you pull it off when opening the can for the first time) for my CPS 4100.

For a bladder replacement, check out the guide for a CPS 2000's bladder replacement. You could have released the CPS 4100's pressure after opening it by pulling the trigger valve pin, but no matter.

If you replace the bladder, expect a massive performance boost.

JCSoaker

Post by JCSoaker » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:23 am

Well, I've lost the orange piece (trigger) about a couple of years ago so it will be impossible to find it in my garage.

Any ideas on making a plastic trigger?
I got all the tools now (finally... I found gorrilla glue and a small spring at Home Depot)

I just need the most fundamental piece... the trigger!!!
I asked the Home Depot to use a HaxSaw and a Band Saw to cut metal in a trigger shape, but they replied:we can't do these difficult tasks! Sorry.

Oh well I guess I'll have a plastic trigger instead of a metal one.

But where can I find/make a strong plastic trigger?
Most of the plastic pieces at my home will just break, since there is so much force in releasing the pressure.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks.

JCSoaker

Post by JCSoaker » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:20 pm

So far I couldn't find anything about plastic pieces of trigger repair in the

http://www.sscentral.org/tech/repairs/trigger.php

and I am not willing to sacrifice my old CPS's trigger and put it into my 4100.
There has to be an alternative. I've tried asking hardware stores, for cutting plexiglass into a trigger shape but it was just to thick to fit it in the slit.

Any ideas for plastic pieces?

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:07 pm

The plexiglass is your best bet. Lexan or something would also be good. And before anybody starts going on about the weaknesses of plexiglass, just note that it's cheap, easy to cut, and good enough for a trigger.

I'd get a sheet of plexiglass, maybe 1/4" to 1/2" thick. Take a regular saw - preferably one of those ones with a metal band for a blade - and cut out a suitable shape. Use a pencil or something beforehand to draw the shape.

That's a brilliant idea, by the way :cool: . Good luck with the repair!

JCSoaker

Post by JCSoaker » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:59 am

Repairing the CPS 4100- Part I

Here is a mini documentation of my progress with fixing my CPS 4100. I hope this repairing project will turn out very successfull as my first one.
Please bear with me of the horrible quality of cheap webcam photos.

Well, I have sawed off the red cap off, with minor-disasterous results.
The cut was straight however, the blade was a bit thicker than expected and there will always be a thin gap. I guess I'll fill it with some fancy plastic and glue. At least I can fix the most important problem easier with the halves separated.

Here are the separated halves.

Image Image

and a full view of them.

Image Image

I have labelled the screws and numbered them accordingly so I wouldn't forget and also it would save me the trouble later figuring out which screw goes where.

Image Image

The good news was that I found out a major problem I couldn't of fix without sawing the red cap in half; there was a crack in a plastic tube.
So should I layer it with super glue or some other material?

Here is an image:

With the gun de-assembled, I had a little fun with the parts. So, guess what? The water tank of the CPS 4100 doesn't look so big as portrayed in commercials when compared to the CPS 1000.

Image Image

And here are some misc parts.

Finally, here is the infamous picture of the broken trigger without the orange plastic paraphanalia. What should the dimensions of the shape approx be? I am still thinking about cutting plexiglass.

THIS PIC IS SHOWN 103% ACTUAL SIZE.

Thanks for all your help so far.
And I am re-considering the rating of the CPS 4100, because I figured out how to adjust the nozzle to 20X-25X (well the people on the forum did first but I expanded it a bit.)

I might consider replacing the rubber tube, but even after five years the rubber tube was still pretty strong, so maybe in the future I'll replace one. For the meantime, I gotta get a new trigger!
Last edited by JCSoaker on Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:39 am

Just leave the pump cap as it is, who cares if there's a little split in it.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:30 am

Yeah, you actually did the smart thing. I saw off the red cap, from the side - so it's a separate piece completely. :rolleyes:

Good luck with the repair! Hopefully this broke the ice in terms of your opinion of repairs. Tell us if you need help modding if you choose to!